Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

JConnol4
Frequent Visitor

IF Formula sum

Dear colleagues,

I am trying to do something which is straight forward (SAP user) but it is not allowing me in PBI and I would appreciate the help here please:

I am counting hot-spots when they have had more than 11 incidents. The first stage is to apply an IF formula to determine the number as below

hot spot = IF([13 Period Indicent]>11,1,0)

I now want to know a sum of these 1's but however i try this PBI won't allow me.

Seemingly such a simple issue and SAP allows the use of where condition and typically i would use:

sum(hotspot) Where ([hotspot] = 1)

any help would be appreciated

kind regards

james

6 REPLIES 6
v-frfei-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @JConnol4,

I recreated another new file using the older version of Power BI desktop. Please try to open it again. And for the functionCALENDARAUTO, you can refer to the oneline document.

Please notice here we need create relationship between dimtime and the fact table based on the date column.

Regards,

Frank

Community Support Team _ Frank
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.

Hi Frank

Thanks for all the effort and sorry for my nagging today.

i did everything you noted and it is still not working. I believe this is due to the relationships as you specified 1-1 in both directions, but the issue is that i have multiple incidents on the same day, therefore multiple same dates so it isn't working.

I amended your IF2 version so that two of the incident counts were on the same day and it failed.

Is there a solution to this issue at all please?

many thanks and regards

james 

Ashish_Mathur
Super User
Super User

Hi,

Share data in a format that can be pasted in Excel.

Regards,
Ashish Mathur
http://www.ashishmathur.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/excelenthusiasts/
v-frfei-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @JConnol4,

Kindly share your sample data and your formulas if the sample doesn't meet your requirement.

13 Period Indicent = CALCULATE(SUM(Table1[incidents]),ALLEXCEPT(Table1,Table1[id]))
Measure = CALCULATE(DISTINCTCOUNT(Table1[id]),FILTER(Table1,[hot spot]=1))

Capture.PNG

For more details, please check the pbix as attached.

Regards,

Frank

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.

Hi Frank,

Thanks very much for the email mate. I have tried to do this but i have not succeeded. The issue maybe due to me not having any of these included within the base data table. At present they are all measures and my base data is not any sort of pivot it is merely just rows of incident data. Unfortunately i can't share it on here for you to see but it is date of incident - location - inc type - count.

My formulas/processes at present are as such:

1) Sum my incidents in a 13 periodbasis (1 year) by using a measure

13 Period Indicent = CALCULATE(SUM('TRUST and SMIS'[Count]),DATESINPERIOD('TRUST and SMIS'[Incident Date],Date(2018,08,19),-365,day))

2) Next i calculate if this is over 11 incidents

it is here that the tables are not recognising the information - should i add this to the base data or create a new table on this?

I will try again today so any help is appreciated

once again thanks

james

Hi @JConnol4,

We need create a dimtime table in advance.

dimtime = CALENDARAUTO()

In your formula [13 Period Indicent], that should be a static value. If you want to get the total sum of previous year, you should update the formula, Please check the new one.

13 Period Indicent new = CALCULATE(SUM('TRUST and SMIS'[Count]),DATESINPERIOD(dimtime[Date],MAX('TRUST and SMIS'[Incident Date]),-365,day))

Then we can create the measures as below.

hot spot = IF([13 Period Indicent new]>11,1,0)
Measure = SUMX('TRUST and SMIS',[hot spot])

2.PNG

For more details, please check the pbix as attached.

Regards,

Frank

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors