Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

I want to have an upload button on PowerBI Desktop, where i can browse an excel file from filesystem

Is it possible to have an upload button created in PowerBI desktop that would have a browser option to browse excel file from your system's filesystem and on hitting the upload button, PowerBI should import and load the data from file to the desktop, rather than using following the inbuilt get data and import feature of PowerBI ? Please help me in this as i have a requirement on this. 

4 REPLIES 4
shoaibalvi
Helper I
Helper I

Struggling to find this option as I was thinking of having one for myself. But any button requires CTRL to be held down if being clicked within Power BI desktop. It would only act as an actual button in published mode when being viewed from browser, but PBI will not allow other users to upload data tables this way anyway. So I guess having a button wouldn't really achieve anything meaningful

v-yingjl
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

As far as I know, currently power bi could not have simliar features to achieve your requirements, excel files can only be imported into power bi by excel connectors, folder connectors etc.

Perhaps you can submit the requirement to ideas and add your comments there to make this feature coming sooner: https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas

It is a place for customers provide feedback about Microsoft Office products . What’s more, if a feedback is high voted there by other customers, it will be promising that Microsoft Product Team will take it into consideration when designing the next version in the future.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Yingjie Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , I have doubt I have seen something like this. On desktop, you already option to load excel.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, there is already option to load excel, but i do not want to use the inbuilt feature of desktop and want to have an add on step on a page, that would allow me to browse the excel file and with an upload button it should action the load on to the desktop. any help?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.