Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

UserBUG
Regular Visitor

I've set up that Gateway. I configured the access to the DB. Now how do I "Get Data" from that DB?

I hope you guys can help me. Those Power Bi tutorials sure don't. (It's not a Gateway setup question but how to access data sources from the gateway in Power Bi Desktop.)

The SQL server database for a vital business application of ours is running in the vendor's data centre.

I have procured and set up a VM with a VPN connection to that data centre and server. I have successfully tested access with SMSS 2005.

Subsequently, I have installed the Power Bi Data Gateway on that server.

Finally, I have logged into Power Bi Online and configured access to the database.

Now, how do I actually call onto that database via Power Bi Desktop? When clicking on "Get Data", there is no link to my sources in the Data Gateway.

How do I call on my database and respective tables at this point?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-sihou-msft
Employee
Employee

@UserBUG

The Data Gateway is only for Power BI Service (cloud side) contacting the on premise data source, which means Power BI Desktop will not use any gateway when connecting to your Access database. You just need to "get data" from Access directly in Power BI Desktop. 

Regards,

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-sihou-msft
Employee
Employee

@UserBUG

The Data Gateway is only for Power BI Service (cloud side) contacting the on premise data source, which means Power BI Desktop will not use any gateway when connecting to your Access database. You just need to "get data" from Access directly in Power BI Desktop. 

Regards,

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.