Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

I only wish to schedule a refresh of some of my data. Is this possible?

Some of my data tables are huge and the data never changes (50 million rows+). And some is quite small and needs regular refreshing. How do I handle this in PowerBI?
Any ideas?

10 REPLIES 10
kenraetz
Regular Visitor

This feature became available a few months ago in Power BI service.  Wasn't sure if you kept up to date with it.  

We are a new contributor to the Power BI User Group online community.  So, catching up a bit.  

Hi @kenraetz,

Can you assist me in finding how can I prevent a table/query's refresh on Power BI service?

The option in query editor worked perfectly when you are deailing with refreshes in Power BI desktop, however, table/query gets included once published to online service.

Hey @ShrikantKhanna!

I'm checking with my team, as this was previously documented to have been available in Power BI service as well.  Unfortunately, I too cannot get it to function at the moment.  I'll keep you posted.

Thanks @kenraetz. Do let me know  🙂 

I just voted on the idea - this functionality is absolutely needed!

Folks - Just wanted to check is this feature now available in Power BI service?

@ashishkabra09 this has been available for Premium. As of February it was GA for Pro - https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/incremental-refresh-is-generally-available/

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG
ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Anonymous If you go to query editor ->right click your table -> Properties -> Untick 'Include in report refresh', that will stop that table from being refreshed each time you hit refresh on power bi desktop. However that functionality is currently only available in bi desktop and you should vote for extending that to power bi service here.

@Anonymous Assuming you are importing the data (that must take awhile), there is no way to selectively choose which tables/Entities to schedule a refresh (this assumes the Service because you can't schedule a refresh in the Desktop. You can right click on the individual tables/entities and refresh them individually, but once you publish to the Service the whole data set is refreshed. Is Direct Query or Live Connection a possibility?

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG
Anonymous
Not applicable

Direct Query would be much too slow.  The source queries are running over an azure elastic pool and can take minutes to run.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.