Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I need to import only a sample of the data from a table has more than one million rows.

I need to import only a sample of the data from a table, has more than one million rows and has a Date Column.

Which 2 are correct here? and why?

1-In the Power Bl model, create a calculated table.

2-From Query Editor, create a custom column that uses a custom column formula OR From Query Editor, create a column by using Column From Examples.
3-From Query Editor, add a select statement that uses a where clause to the source
definition.
4-From Query Editor, filter the table by date.

I think 3 and 4 are right way to restrict data? What do you say?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous read this post on query folding and it will explain what option would work best. 

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous read this post on query folding and it will explain what option would work best. 

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

@parry2k wrote:

@Anonymousread this post on query folding and it will explain what option would work best. 

Thanks for the link. It is really very informative. After going through this article, I am sure option 4 is correct but still unclear about option 3.

Please can you help here. 

• You write your own source query. When you establish a connection in Power BI to a database (let’s say SQL Server for this discussion) you’re provided an option, under Advanced Options, to write your own SQL Statement to define how the data will be imported.  Once you choose this option Query Folding is no longer available on this query. That means if you plan on writing a query to import your data you better know ever transform you would like to apply to the dataset and write it inside the SQL Statement because if you add any additional transforms in the Query Editor later they will not be folded.

@Anonymous indeed option#3 will work fine, it will send query to underline dataset depending what you have in your query.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.