Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

carlbh
Helper I
Helper I

I need to delete some columns in my data source Excel tables and not impact my existing PBI reports

I am currently using exported data from a Case management system put into Excel tables stored in Sharepoint as my data sources.

We are moving to a new case management system which has a restriction on the number of columns I can export to Excel. As such so that I can more easily align the old and new data,  I am looking to find a way to be able to delete surplus columns from my existing data source, without having to rebuild the whole data query for each table that makes up the report.

I am using the same source Excel tables for multiple reports, so the simpler the solution for me the better.

Previous answers on here have advised to delete the column in Power Query editor, but all my queries import the whole table not specific columns. There are no references to the specific columns I am looking to remove in Power Query.

WHen I try to reload the new table it deletes all subsequent steps in the query.

Put simply I want to be able to delete columns from source data and then do the same in my imported query table so that they match and dont produce errors.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-xicai
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @carlbh ,

You can change the current source URL to your deleted columns data source URL in Query Editor, for example the following picture. After click "Close & Apply", maybe you need to correct the visuals in report which contain your deleted columns.

3.png

Best Regards,

Amy

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-xicai
Community Support
Community Support

Hi  @carlbh  ,

Does that make sense? If so, kindly mark my answer as a solution to help others having the similar issue and close the case. If not, let me know and I'll try to help you further.

Best regards

Amy

v-xicai
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @carlbh ,

You can change the current source URL to your deleted columns data source URL in Query Editor, for example the following picture. After click "Close & Apply", maybe you need to correct the visuals in report which contain your deleted columns.

3.png

Best Regards,

Amy

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.