Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I need a TOTAL but using SUM gives the wrong value

Hi,

I'm stuck at this last stage of my report. I need a TOTAL value but once I put it in a matrix visual or click SUM, the value is incorrect.

Context: My data looks like this: 

Project A -> John, Bob, Nicole, Maria --- i needed to separate the audiences to count them so now, it looks like this:

Project A  - John

Project A - Bob

Project A - Nicole

Project A - Maria 

Because of this, I can't use summary when I am looking at 30 other projects because instead of just counting Project A once, it counts it 4x.

Is there a way I can just summarize it but only count Project A as one value?

Thank you,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Anonymous ,

According to your description, I think it may be a subtotal issue in matrix visual. But we really need your sample data and expected output for deeper help.

Please refer to https://powerpivotpro.com/2012/03/subtotals-and-grand-totals-that-add-up-correctly/

And would you please inform us more detailed information( your sample data(by OneDrive for Business)) if possible? Then we will help you more correctly.

Best Regards,

Dedmon Dai

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
edhans
Super User
Super User

Project A needs to be its own field. You cannot summmarize by Project A if it is Project A - Sally, Project A - Bob, etc. Power Query can split that for you on the Transform tab, Split Column button

If that is not the issue, please post back with actual sample data and an expected result.

How to get good help fast. Help us help you.
How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly
How to provide sample data in the Power BI Forum

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting
Anonymous
Not applicable

My apologies, it's all just Project A. The only reason why i added the names after is to show that because i had to split the audiences to Project A, it resulted to 4 instances of that project. 

So instead of Project A = 0.25, when I summarize it in a matrix, or any field that I need a total, it gives me 1.00, which is an incorrect value. 

Hope this makes more sense now.

Hi @Anonymous ,

According to your description, I think it may be a subtotal issue in matrix visual. But we really need your sample data and expected output for deeper help.

Please refer to https://powerpivotpro.com/2012/03/subtotals-and-grand-totals-that-add-up-correctly/

And would you please inform us more detailed information( your sample data(by OneDrive for Business)) if possible? Then we will help you more correctly.

Best Regards,

Dedmon Dai

camargos88
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @Anonymous ,

Have you tried to split this column using Power Query ?

Ricardo

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Anonymous
Not applicable

My apologies, it's all just Project A. The only reason why i added the names after is to show that because i had to split the audiences to Project A, it resulted to 4 instances of that project. 

So instead of Project A = 0.25, when I summarize it in a matrix, or any field that I need a total, it gives me 1.00, which is an incorrect value. 

Hope this makes more sense now.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.