Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

cparker4486
Helper III
Helper III

I'm lost. Why is Power BI behaving this way? (Year with comma? Removing data rows?)

I'm sorry but I don't know how else to describe this. Power BI is behaving very strangely.

• It's putting a comma in the year value of the x-axis: 2,015, 2,016
  • It's removing rows that are, to me, clearly not duplicates
  • I only have "year" as part of the date hierarchy

"Consumption Period" setup in data model"Consumption Period" setup in data modelRows removed in Data viewRows removed in Data viewRows present in Query EditorRows present in Query EditorSetup of visualSetup of visualGraph with comma in year labelsGraph with comma in year labels

10 REPLIES 10
Eric_Zhang
Employee
Employee

@cparker4486 wrote:

I'm sorry but I don't know how else to describe this. Power BI is behaving very strangely.

• It's putting a comma in the year value of the x-axis: 2,015, 2,016
  • It's removing rows that are, to me, clearly not duplicates
  • I only have "year" as part of the date hierarchy 

I think all the items listed are by design. Regarding the first two items, if you don't like them, use datetime(column name in my test, "Consumption Period" in your case) instead of Hierarchy.

Capture.PNG

As to the third one, Microsoft has confirmed that it is by design. There's a list listing the visuals in which drill-down is supported. Check Can't drill down on date hierarchy.

Thanks, @Eric_Zhang.

But I gotta say, as good as Power BI is, it's very quirky and inconsistent.

@cparker4486

One add-up.

Drill-down (or back up) on line charts is implemented in August 2016 Update (2.37.4464.321).

Cool. There are a lot of good updates in this release.

@cparker4486

I'd say they look good for me. Smiley Tongue

You can submit your feedback on Power BI Ideas.

Bhartman30
Advocate II
Advocate II

Change your axis type from continous to categorical by going to the customize tool, selecting x-axis, and changing the option.

Thanks.

@Bhartman30

This helps. Thank you.

cparker4486
Helper III
Helper III

I can answer one thing for myself. I thought the new Time Intelligence feature was supposed to be more feature complete than it is. Looks like it's still not meant for less-than-part-time users of Power BI like me need.

And, to my delight, I think I've figured out the problem of missing records but I'm not certain. It looks PBI was automatically sorting by Usage first and then Consumption Period next. I'm unsure about this because there were no visible sort arrows. However, I explicitly told it to sort by Consumption Date and all the "missing" records appeared.

I think it's safe to conclude it was a sorting problem.

I also tried deleting my step of setting the data type on Consumption Period and letting PBI do it itself. This seems to have solved the "year with comma" problem. I don't understand why this made any difference though.

(I'm leaving these comments here so that when I come across this again next time I'll search the forum and find my own posts with the answers. Cat LOL )

I know what happened with the date sorting. I was clicking on "Sort Column By" and seeing that it was already sorting by itself. This, however, is not how the sort is displayed in the Data view. That is achieved by right-clicking the column and choosing which direction to sort. (Hence the lack of sort indicator.)

cparker4486
Helper III
Helper III

Sorry for the funky placement of the images.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.