Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

JChris
Helper II
Helper II

I have one table that I get automatically, but I need to assess it manually, how to?

I have a query that gets data from a DB view that gets dumped into a CSV file periodically, my query source inside PBI is this CSV file, let's call that query view "UsedCars", and inside this I will have the following columns: ID, Name, ReleaseYear, Maker, this view/table may (and will) have dupped cars (same name, year and maker) but different ID, because the ID is unique.

I then procceded to dump UsedCars into a CSV file, I then openned it on Excel and saved it as XSLX so I could add two more columns that I needed: Status and Description. Those are the ones I need to populate manually, because I have to assess each and every car condition and give them a status and possibiby a description. After that I created a new query view using this XSLX file as source, let's call this new query view "UsedCarsStatus". Now I have it inside PBI with the data I want and I can easily correlate it with other tables using the unique ID.

The issue is that "UsedCars" is dynamic, it may grow or shrink on a daily basis and having to export it into a CSV each time is troublesome, even more when I have to use Excel functions to populate the cars I already assessed in past waves (yesterday, the day before, last Monday, etc), because when I export the CSV it's raw and don't even contain the two columns I create inside Excel (Status, Description).

This feels like the wrong way to do things. What would be the best approach in this case?

2 REPLIES 2
v-caliao-msft
Employee
Employee

@JChris,

Why do you use this CSV file in Power BI first, and then export it from your report? Why not use your original file and add columns to it and then use this reshape file as your Power BI report data source?

Regards,

Charlie Liao

Because this CSV dump is read-only, it's on the local network.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.