Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Powell360
Helper I
Helper I

I have Inconsistent error messages and can't make sense of the Log files.

I have a bit of a saga to tell but I really need help!

I had created (my first) a working set of reports fed from an xls file which I edited through PBI Desktop. Everything worked until I tried to update the source file, suddenly none of my queries would refresh and thats when I found out that xls isnt supported and I needed to use xlsx. Thats no problem, I went into the advanced query editor for each of my 50 queries and replace the top 3 lines with the updated file reference to point at the xlsx which contains the same data. 

When I update my queries now everything is fine and the data flows in again. When I hit refresh onb my visualisations though I get any one of the following 3 errors for each query, they are all reporting one of the 3 and they are all failing (despite some of them getting rows loaded and giving me a count) .

The errors are : -

OLE DB or ODBC error: Exception from HRESULT: 0x80040E4E

The following system error occurred: (and thats it!)

Load was cancelled by an error in loading a previous table. 

I understand the last one I think but I can't figure out whats wrong with the rest.

Can anyone please help? I'm happy to give any information or answers thgat are not sensitive to the business. This is my first project in a new job so I'm pretty keen to resolve this issue ASAP

Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Powell360
Helper I
Helper I

After removing all of the queries and putting them back 1 by 1 I was able to find the problem ones (3 out of 50) and fix them as required individually. I still have no Idea why I was getting such inconsistent error messages.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Powell360
Helper I
Helper I

After removing all of the queries and putting them back 1 by 1 I was able to find the problem ones (3 out of 50) and fix them as required individually. I still have no Idea why I was getting such inconsistent error messages.
Powell360
Helper I
Helper I

Quick update,

I unchecked "Enable Load" on all but the first query (which had reported issues previously) and it went through fine. Im working my way through just now adding them 1 by 1 until it breaks. 

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

So, this is happening when you hit refresh from the Service?

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

smoupre,

Thanks for the reply. 

No the errors occur when I hit refresh in the visualization editor (apologies if it has a different name) in Power BI Desktop. When I do it in the Query editor (of Power BI desktop) the data come in just fine and mirrors any changes I make to the source file

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.