Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ivan77
Regular Visitor

I dont understand the workflow

Hi,

In Power BI desktop, I created some visuals in the report tab (since I cannot create dashboards directly from there).  I clicked publish and signed into my office 365 account.  It published to the https://app.powerbi.com/... site.  

I shared the dashboard with a testuser. I clicked on the URL and logged into the site as the testuser (also a office 365 E1 subscription holder in our org, but not a power bi subscription holder).

My expectation is that the testuser would see the dashboard I shared with them.  It does not.  It gives me the:

Welcome to Power BI you are on your way...

No dashboard to be seen.  

I just want the users that I share the power BI report to be able to see the dashboards through office 365.

Help would be appreciated,

Ivan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@ivan77 I'm trying to follow what the issue is...

The screen you were faced with is just the default screen for any new user who has nothing in their workspace.

Once a user has content in the workspace, this default screen will be their workspace.

Sharing a dashboard as outlined here will provide your end users the ability to see your dashboard and reports (not datasets)

Content packs are not necessary, but are another option to share your reports/dashboards. 

Each user has there own workspace, so "yes" they will need a subscription. (There are free versions, but if you use anything that requires a Pro license the end user needs to have that same Pro license to interact/see your reports and dashboards.)

What does "And query if I choose" mean?

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

@ivan77 Your test user account is just like the one you set up yourself. Until you have logged in and have something in your workspace, you are always defaulted to the "Get Data" section. Just click on the upper right "Power BI" and you should be redirected to the workspace, where you should see the dashboard.

Not saying its a real good user experience in these cases, but that's the quick way to get to the workspace.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Hi @Seth_C_Bauer

I just came across the content pack section.  I added a content pack with my dashboard and shared it with the staffuser.  I can now see the dashboard in the staffuser.

Questions:

1) Does every user in my organization need a power bi subscription simply to view the dashboards I create?  

2) is there a way to have our office 365 users just see the dashboards.  All I really want is for the report consumers to just see the dashboard (and query if if I choose) so as not to confuse them with the datasets, ability to create dashboards.  

Ivan

greggyb
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Everyone needs a license, but depending on your datasets, they may not need a Pro license, they might be able to get by with free license.

Power BI licensing

The workflow is

Desktop:

Power Query: retrieve information, apply transformations and business logic to support analysis

Power Pivot / data model: Analytical modelling and measure defintions

Power View: build interactive reports

Service (app.powerbi.com):

Power View: build or consume interactive reports based on published datasets

Dashboards: view tiles from one or many reports

There is a hierarchy in elements that exist in the service.

Dashboard > Report > Dataset

Access to a dataset allows an individual to create arbitrary reports on that dataset.

Access to a report implies access to the underlying dataset.

Access to a dashboard implies access to the underlying report(s) and dataset(s).

@ivan77 I'm trying to follow what the issue is...

The screen you were faced with is just the default screen for any new user who has nothing in their workspace.

Once a user has content in the workspace, this default screen will be their workspace.

Sharing a dashboard as outlined here will provide your end users the ability to see your dashboard and reports (not datasets)

Content packs are not necessary, but are another option to share your reports/dashboards. 

Each user has there own workspace, so "yes" they will need a subscription. (There are free versions, but if you use anything that requires a Pro license the end user needs to have that same Pro license to interact/see your reports and dashboards.)

What does "And query if I choose" mean?

@Seth_C_Bauer

Thanks for the info.  I have a better handle on what this all looks like.    

"And query if I choose"-- not a complete thought, disregard.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors