Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

EU

I cannot visualize correctly topojson files in powebi

I follow the instructions to convert a shape file to topojson (WGS84 system, transformed to geojson with qgis and then to topojson with mapshaper) but when I try to visualize it with powerbi, the file and the geometry seems to be empty. What is the correct way/path to charge the topojson file in powerbi and to visualize? Thanks for the help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Finally I discover what were the problems:

1) I need to activate in general options: To enable Shape Map, select File > Options and Settings > Options > Preview Features, then select the Shape Map Visual checkbox.

2) Then, I need to charge one table with data in powerbi.

3) Start with shape map.

4) Click on one of the columns/data of my table. This serve to activate the possibility of charge my own map in topojson format.

5) And finally... I discover that it works better if the map is almost empty of data (just with the ID code -the same in the table with data-) and the data is in the table I included in power bi in step 2.

Thanks for the help!!!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @EU,

Using this link http://geojson.io  you can convert geojson as well as topojson. Although after converting file it should necessary that whatever region name is taken in topojson code that region name should match with you table data.

Hoping this will help you, If not could you please share your sample pbix file. That will helpful for me to solve your issue.

Best Regards,

Ravi

Hi Ravi,

Thanks for your answer. With the link I convert the file but still dont visualize data or geometry in power bi. Wich is the best way to upload the topojson file in powerbi? Do I need to upload the data in another file (excel for example)? I feel that I'm missing some step...

Thanks!

Elena

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Elena,

No, For uploading topojson file , you just need to

1.click on shape map then 

2.Click on format pane 

3.Open Shape option 

4. Just import your topojson file.

Again if it is not coming could you share any sample of your file if possible. I will look into that.

Best Regards,

Ravi

Anonymous
Not applicable

Or just share geojson file and region name for which region you want to see data.

Finally I discover what were the problems:

1) I need to activate in general options: To enable Shape Map, select File > Options and Settings > Options > Preview Features, then select the Shape Map Visual checkbox.

2) Then, I need to charge one table with data in powerbi.

3) Start with shape map.

4) Click on one of the columns/data of my table. This serve to activate the possibility of charge my own map in topojson format.

5) And finally... I discover that it works better if the map is almost empty of data (just with the ID code -the same in the table with data-) and the data is in the table I included in power bi in step 2.

Thanks for the help!!!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.