Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

MS54321

I cannot find the setting for my Import refresh anywhere, please help

Hi, I have a cloud SQL server with a PBI Gateway configured. I'm using Power BI free license.

On the SQL server I have a pbix that's pulling in various tables via the gateway as a datasource.

I believe this was originally set up as Direct Query, then it was changed to Import - and, from what I can gather, at the point it was changed to Import it prompted for the Refresh Frequency which got set to 15 minutes.

When I create reports against the datasource the data does indeed refresh every 15 minutes, but I want to change it to 30 minutes.

I can't find this setting anywhere, can someone advise?

When I go into the pbix on the SQL server, go into Model, hover over the tables it tells me it's definitely "Import" but I don't see any settings saying 15 minutes.

When I go into app.powerbi.com I can call up the dataset and when I click Refresh History I can see it's updating every 15 minutes, but when I click "Scheduled Refresh" under the dataset it's showing as being "On" and the Refresh Frequency dropdown is blank and the only options in the dropdown are Weekly and Daily.

So where exactly is this 15 minute refresh setting and how do I change it?

Many thanks!

4 REPLIES 4
piotr_gor
Helper II
Helper II

In Direct Query you can adjust refresh frequency at "every x minutes". You can check datatable storage type in Model and under "Advance" it specifies "Storage mode". 

piotr_gor_1-1676630962020.png

On the other hand in import mode you need to specify at what time you want refresh to happen. To do so you need to simply click on "Add another time" and select refresh's time. 

piotr_gor_0-1676630943144.png

Thanks, when I go into Model > Advanced > Storage Mode says "Import"

When I go to app.powerbi.com, go into my Datasource settings, click Scheduled Refresh - it is set to "On", there's nothing selected in the "Refresh Frequency". 
But my data is definitely refreshing every 15 minutes (as can be seen in the Refresh History)
So it would seem my dataset is definitely Import? And it refreshes every 15 mins, and I can't see where that 15 min setting is or how to change it

piotr_gor
Helper II
Helper II

No, your dataset currently is in Direct Query mode. 

Have a look at: 

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/refresh-data#live-connections-and-directquer... 

Thanks, I read through that. Can you explain why you say my dataset is in Direct Query mode? When I hover over the tables in the pbix Model page they all say "Import" 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.