Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

SimonSeez
Helper III
Helper III

I can't use a column in a chart

Hello, I have a column "Target by KPI Target" in a table. It contains targets set for certain units. I intend to create a chart using values in this column. When I select it with a table visual, it displays the contents. However, it does not give a total sum. When I select it with a column chart, it does not display the chart. It only shows the values as legends. 

I looked at the column and noticed it does not have the sigma sign beside it. Could this be the reason why? If so, how can I convert it into a value I can use. In Power Query, I already made the column that contains these values a number and decimal. Both did not work. 

Thank you. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hello @dax and @az38 

Thank you for all your support. 

I found the solution to the problem here  : https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/quot-Value-quot-field-defaulting-to-quot-Sum-quot-instead-o... 

Regards, 

Simon 

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
dax
Community Support
Community Support

Hi SimonSeez,

You said that it show the legends in chart instead of value, you need to make sure you add the field in Value instead of Legend. In addition, no matter you add it in chart or table, the sigma signwon't show in viusal

528.PNG529.PNG

If possible could you please inform me more detailed information(such as your expected output and your sample data)? Then I will help you more correctly.

Please do mask sensitive data before uploading.

Thanks for your understanding and support.
Best Regards,
Zoe Zhi

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hello @dax 

Thank you for your feedback as well. 

I have implemented the request and shared the objective with screen shots in my most recent replies to @az38 .

The objective is to have a chart that has two columns (Total Deposits against Target by each SBU based on a KPI Metric called Assets). Total Deposits is in my factfile. 

1.PNG 

As is, when I select "Target by KPI" and use it in my visual, it sums all the assets by SBU and uses it against one bar. When was I want is for (e..g Financial Instuituiton Asset Target to be against Financial Institution Total Deposit)

International Corporate Asset Target to be against International Corporate Total Deposit

I hope I have made it clearer 

Regards, 

dax
Community Support
Community Support

Hi SimonSeeze, 

According to your description, it seems that you want to show detail data instead of summary value of "SUB",right? But you need to know, when you add two fields in Values, you couldn't add field in Legend. So if you want to see detail data, you need to add target_name in axis. Then you could click button like below to see details.

530.PNG

Best Regards,
Zoe Zhi

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hello @dax and @az38 

Thank you for all your support. 

I found the solution to the problem here  : https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/quot-Value-quot-field-defaulting-to-quot-Sum-quot-instead-o... 

Regards, 

Simon 

dax
Community Support
Community Support

Hi ,

It seems that you solve this problem, right? If so and if you'd like to, you could mark corresponding post as answer or share your solutions. That way, people who in this forum and have similar issue will benefit from it.

Best Regards,
Zoe Zhi

az38
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @SimonSeez 

show us example of your data, please or screenshot your workspace

anyway, be sure, your column are placed in values not a legend field  in Vizualizations pane

do not hesitate to give a kudo to useful posts and mark solutions as solution

LinkedIn

Hello @az38 

Thank you for your feedback. See the pictures below

The Table in Power QueryThe Table in Power Query

Where I select the column. You can see it has no Sigma signWhere I select the column. You can see it has no Sigma signAn example of the visualization . I am trying to show Total Deposits v TargetAn example of the visualization . I am trying to show Total Deposits v Target

az38
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @SimonSeez 

show the Vizualization pane

LinkedIn

Hello @az38 

See below

2.PNG

az38
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @SimonSeez 

it's a field pane. show vizualization

418652.PNG

LinkedIn

Apologies @az38 

See below 

visual.PNG

az38
Community Champion
Community Champion

well @SimonSeez 

it depends on what exactly do you need.

if you need to see sum of targets as Bar - its enough to move "Target by KPI Target" in the values section

LinkedIn

Hello @az38 

Sadly what this option does it to sum targets for all the SBU's. What I need is for each target to be against each deposit per SBUI need the target for the assets value only against the SBUI need the target for the assets value only against the SBUFrom here I need total depositsFrom here I need total deposits

az38
Community Champion
Community Champion

@SimonSeez 

add KPI_Target_Name to the legend section or to the Axis

LinkedIn

Hi @az38 

Done but it doesn't show me the targets per SBU. See the pic below. If I can the value not to show in a sum, it would solve the problem Untitled.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.