Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

s-turn
Resolver I
Resolver I

I can mimic SQL Lag but not SQL Lead... Dax help please!

Hello,

I'm trying to mimic the SQL function LEAD in Power BI.  I have a table representing emails that have been sent to customers.  There is a column for CustomerID, a column called Sequence which represents each email received by the customer in sequential order (there is a sequence of nine emails that each new customer gets, so there's Email 1, Email 2 etc), and the date that they received the email.

The fourth column, Date of Next Email, is what I want to generate.  In SQL I would use Lead to do this.

CustomerIDSequenceDateOfEmailDateOfNextEmail
A12021-01-012021-01-07
A22021-01-07 
B12021-01-022021-01-08
B22021-01-082021-01-23
B32021-01-23 

I have found a way to get the *previous* email date (i.e. Lag), but that's no use to me.  To get the previous email date, I use the method given here: From SQL to DAX- ‘Lead’ and ‘Lag’ window functions – Gal Love Data (xuanalytics.com)

i.e. 

calculate (max(DateOfEmail),
filter(tablename,
CustomerID=earlier(CustomerID)
&&
Sequence<earlier(Sequence)
))

I thought that it would be easy to change it from Lag to Lead - I thought I could change the < to a >.  However, when I do this, the calculated column populated with the LAST email date for each customer.  Not the next, but the last.  

The article I linked to suggests that this method works for both Lag and Lead, but the author only gave the syntax for Lag.

Any suggestions much appreciated!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@s-turn , These two columns will give you previous and next

maxx(filter(tablename, CustomerID=earlier(CustomerID) && Sequence<earlier(Sequence)),[DateOfEmail])

minx(filter(tablename, CustomerID=earlier(CustomerID) && Sequence >earlier(Sequence)),[DateOfEmail])

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@s-turn , These two columns will give you previous and next

maxx(filter(tablename, CustomerID=earlier(CustomerID) && Sequence<earlier(Sequence)),[DateOfEmail])

minx(filter(tablename, CustomerID=earlier(CustomerID) && Sequence >earlier(Sequence)),[DateOfEmail])

Hmm, something weird - I've noticed that the NextEmailDate *does* change, but only when the month changes.  So, let's say emails 1-4 are sent in January, the NextEmailDate will show for Emails 1-3 as the date that Email 4 is sent.  However, once we get into February, the NextEmailDate is showing as the last date in Fenruary that the customer received an email.  I'm completely baffled! 

Maybe ignore that - one of my date columns got reformatted as a US date, which confused everything.

OK, it worked!  Thanks so much, @amitchandak .  I got there in the end - you were right all along.  I'm glad it was a relatively short bit of syntax too - that gives me hope that I can start to understand it!

Thank you for your response.  Unfortunately, I am having exactly the same problem - the Lag one works perfectly, but the Lead one just brings up the LAST email date for each customer (instead of the next).

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.