Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am trying to add column values in each row to produce a totals column but doesn't work

I have tried to use SUM to add up the column values in each row and the final value is not right

My formula is as follows:

Totals = sum('Outstanding Work'[Key])+sum('Outstanding Work'[Verify])+sum('Outstanding Work'[Submit])+sum('Outstanding Work'[1ST TRACK])+sum('Outstanding Work'[2ND TRACK])+sum('Outstanding Work'[Outstanding HDMs])

this is the table with the Totals column:

sum tABLE.png

This is driving me crazy. Any help would be appreciated.

Luis

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Thanks for sharing the PBIX. First off; try updating your PBI desktop (it doesn't relate to this issue, but always good to be up to date as I got a compatibilty message 🙂 )

Then on to your issue. The Key column has it's summarization set to COUNT, not SUM:

image.png

If this is correct, you need to change your measure accordingly:

Totals = COUNT('Outstanding Work'[Key])+SUM('Outstanding Work'[Verify])+SUM('Outstanding Work'[Submit])+SUM('Outstanding Work'[1ST TRACK])+SUM('Outstanding Work'[2ND TRACK])+SUM('Outstanding Work'[Outstanding HDMs])

Result:

image.png

Let me know if this answers your question 🙂

Kind regards

Djerro123

-------------------------------

If this answered your question, please mark it as the Solution. This also helps others to find what they are looking for.

Keep those thumbs up coming! 🙂

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Djerro,

I dont know why you see count. This is my desktop capture...sum.png

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
JarroVGIT
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Are the other columns just column references or are these measures? If they are measures, could you share them? If they are column references, would it be possible to share your PBIX (can also via PM if you don't want to share publicly)? There is definitely something funny going on but we have to little to go on here 🙂

Kind regards

Djerro123

If this answered your question, please mark it as the Solution. This also helps others to find what they are looking for.

Anonymous
Not applicable

no the data is not a measure but it is in a matrix 

I dont want to share publicly and I didnt see an attachment option in the pm section

Regards,

Luis

Thanks for sharing the PBIX. First off; try updating your PBI desktop (it doesn't relate to this issue, but always good to be up to date as I got a compatibilty message 🙂 )

Then on to your issue. The Key column has it's summarization set to COUNT, not SUM:

image.png

If this is correct, you need to change your measure accordingly:

Totals = COUNT('Outstanding Work'[Key])+SUM('Outstanding Work'[Verify])+SUM('Outstanding Work'[Submit])+SUM('Outstanding Work'[1ST TRACK])+SUM('Outstanding Work'[2ND TRACK])+SUM('Outstanding Work'[Outstanding HDMs])

Result:

image.png

Let me know if this answers your question 🙂

Kind regards

Djerro123

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Djerro,

I dont know why you see count. This is my desktop capture...sum.png

image.png

The number in your matrix represents a COUNT of the Key column, not a SUM. This is confirmed when you clik on the little arrow in the Columns field of the visual like the screenshot above. Changing your measure to use COUNT for the calculation as well for the Key column fixed the issue for you (now you get 172 in the first row). I don't know if you need COUNT or SUM, that is up to you of course.

Kind regards

Djerro123

If they are column references, do the value represent distinct counts? Or are they number columns and are they summarized as sums? 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.