Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jolondon

I am so frustrated!

I have imported the same Excel sheet 7 times in excel and csv form. Every time I do the name of the column shows up as column1, column2, etc. rather than the names in the first row. I have followed the instructions but nothing seems to work.  I clicked use first row as header but that wont' let me display the first rows as header. The first row is date names like jan-2015, feb-2015 etc. but that doesn't seem to matter.

This process is so much simpler with other tools. Am I doing something wrong? I want the first row names to be headers.  

thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
samdthompson
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

It can be super frustrating. A couple of things to try:

1. can you save as a table in excel and bring in?

2. rename each of the headers in the csv with say a preceeding space. It sounds like its a format thing and by changing it you might get some joy.

// if this is a solution please mark as such. Kudos always appreciated.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
samdthompson
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

It can be super frustrating. A couple of things to try:

1. can you save as a table in excel and bring in?

2. rename each of the headers in the csv with say a preceeding space. It sounds like its a format thing and by changing it you might get some joy.

@jolondon Yes try option 1 listed by @samdthompson

In Excel - click in any cell in the data => Ctrl-T => verify the range => check my Table has headers => give your table a Name

Then try importing again => and select the Table name NOT the Sheet name

I figured it out. You had to select the top row and click use first row as header that's at the left of the edit query screen. you cannot use the "use first row as header" button that's prominently displayed at the top of the screen (and the forum post suggested I use).  

my mistake. I thought you had tried that button which was my jumping to format conclusion. to early in the morning to be doing this.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors