Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

lcasey
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

I am extreemly disapointed in the Power BI Team Text Wrapping feature

As all of you may know, or perhaps better phrased, as all of you may feel, there is an excitement and real potential for Power BI as an extremely useful tool.  Perhaps, it is even the beginning of a new product that will be as successful or more successful than the Office Suite.  Perhaps even Power BI could be the next Kiosk, tablet, phone, computer, laptop, Heads up display, etc.  that gets embedded or installed on just as many devices in the world as Java.

Sharing data analytics on any data source and displaying it through a web based, cloud solution, accessible to anyone anywhere is certainly a great idea and Microsoft has already done a great job at all its efforts in Power BI up to this point.  I also have a lot of faith and unwavering support for Power Bi's success.

So why am I so disappointed?  Because I was excited when I saw that the January 2017 update allowed the wrapping of text in columns. This was much needed and a standard in just about any other reporting tool. In fact, I immediately upgraded and updated one of my reports. I could wrap the column headers with no problem.  I did face issues trying to publish the report to Power BI and when the report finally did publish, I saw that it makes no difference at all in the online service. This new feature does not work in the Online service where almost everyone views reports.

I was again, extremely disappointed in the whole way Power BI as a team is making efforts to improve the Power BI product and continue to get customers to sign up.  I can tell you from experience, as a consultant who recommends Microsoft Products and implements them, Power BI is not yet accepted in the Main Stream as a capable reporting tool because of issues just like this.

Does the Power BI team realize that they need to review the hundreds of other reporting tools out there and basic things like column wrapping are a no brainer?  Are you Power BI, really satisfied with yourselves as a team?  I am sure you take pride in this awesome product you have produced. That’s why you really need to ask yourselves, does text wrapping in a column really make the headline news of an analytical reporting tool?  I mean seriously, that should be a small bullet point buried under the other Headers of MUCH more significant improvements than that.  Just as a basic reporting tool, there are thousands of things missing that are standard and found in other solutions. 

Microsoft, do you realize that before Power BI came out, companies were using other tools to capture and display their data. There are already decades of standard features built into these reporting tools from which Power BI should at least have a base starting point.  Text column wrapping should have been in the first release of the tool.  But again, I was very excited when this new feature was released.

Now, I don’t want to be all negative because as I have said, Power BI is a great solution. The Power BI team is on the very cutting edge of the next successful cloud solution that could potentially become an enterprise, small and medium company alike, standard rented cloud solution.

So, when Microsoft announces this "Great" new feature and then you realize well it doesn’t work in the actual Power BI service, I start to wonder, do the Power BI team's even talk to each other?  How could the desktop development team make such a great improvement in the product and be thrown under the bus by the Power BI services team? Doesn't the Online service want to display this great new functionality that was the result of hard work from the BI desktop developers? What kind of culture at Microsoft fosters these types of miscommunication? Even more puzzling is why no one on the Power BI team realized this?

Power BI Team, I really want to say thank you for such a great product and excellent new release, but I am instead so disappointed. I share my disappointment in hopes that someone in Microsoft will make some real positive changes.

Something is seriously wrong when these types of issues are not communicated correctly within Microsoft and to its customers, .

Communicate these new enhancements as an Entire Power BI team, explain where new features work, where they don’t, does a desktop improvement mean that the online service will support it? How does the Desktop Tool improvements roll up into improvements of Power BI as a whole?

And if this was an un-expected result by Microsoft, then you have serious issues to deal with. The Power BI Team should have easily seen this issue and prevented yet another disappointment.

5 REPLIES 5

All valid points, but please remember that Power BI is a very young product.  Perhaps MSFT was a bit too quick to market with the tool, but think about it from a competitive standpoint and also MSFT strategic standpoint.  The BI space is/was getting very crowded and MSFT needed to enter the space, and with the Power Pivot and Power Query engines already pretty well established, the visualization layer was not too big in scope to try and develop in a shorter time period.  Secondly, from the strategic standpoint, a lot of MSFT's growth depends on big data and analytics, with Azure a huge driver of this going forward.  The mission of enabling everyone and every organization to do more, with the goal of democratizing data and analytics for the masses, meant that Power BI was a pivotal peice of the entire Cortana Intelligence Suite.

In addition, as I mentioned earlier, Power BI is very young (<2 years old).  In comparison, Tableau is 10+ years old, so there is quite a gap that MSFT is trying (successfully in my opinion) to close.  Part of this process is the rapid cadence of features and updates (monthly compared to Tableau's yearly).  With a monthly cadence, it is hard to address every concern and iron out every bug, but the major difference here between today's MSFT and yesteryears' is that MSFT and the product teams ARE LISTENING!  Between the ideas page, the Power BI Community (e.g. the Ask MSFT Anything), and the engagement of engineering with the field to get customer feedback and develop a road map, I can honestly say that I think Power BI will become the best BI tool on the market.  For now, you have to deal with some minor drawbacks.  But honestly, while something like the column text wrapping feature is a no brainer, mature products like Tableau lack a ton of the ETL functionality that the Query Editor provides, so my point is that no tool is 100% complete.  With that said, I would rather invest my time to learn a tool that is on a steep trajectory of adoption and improvement.

Rant over 🙂

Thank You!

All great points!   I do admit, I am no programer or even handled  a division as big as the Power BI team , so I am absolutely appreciative of your post.  I do stress to my clients some of the same points you have made.

Monthly updates are an aggressive schedule so I can Understand some of the issues with trying to meet expectations of the Power BI user community. 

Can I suggest from Microsoft just 1 thing.  Give us an Architectural drawing of your online services. Nothing that would compromise security or show confidential info. But for us in the field deploying your solutions give us a thorough architectural document explaining sync processes, storage etc...  Just Like I would need to provide any client who would hire me to setup a new rack of servers or a new datacenter or a new software solution, they want high level architectural documents.  

I used to be a certified Microsoft Exchange engineer before the cloud, and I can tell you that having a High Level (public) document that explained your service architecture would be a huge help for us out here in the trenches deploying your Cloud services.

I really appreciate your post !

Hi @lcasey,

I just tested it on my Power BI service, the "table header word wrap" feature works all fine now. Could you go to check if it works on your side?Smiley Happy

Regards

It is now working on my side also. 

tringuyenminh92
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Hi @lcasey,

As developer/technical consultant, I really appreciate your straight feedback without any negative feeling. Agree with you that basic features should be stable and perfect as acceptable level. This is same as my feeling when i think about our(PBI) map control or table control with Tableau map & table control. Somehow, PBI team will understand and improve Power BI in next release, hope so ^_^ Please be patient and let them time ❤️ 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.