Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

How would I take multiple columns and combine them into a single column?

I have reports sent to me from various sources with columns for each month of the year. I would like to take said columns and combine them all into a single column programmatically and associate the month from which they originated with them.

Sample.png

Is there an easy way to do this? I see the "Convert to List" feature, but I can't figure out how to do this for all columns without having to create separate queries for each. I am also unsure how I go about recombining them.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
MarcoRotta
Resolver I
Resolver I

Hi pbiuser2.

What you probably want here is to unpivot those months columns and turn them into a single column. Your data model will probably not work fine with them pivoted as they are. I've found this blog post with detailed instructions on how to do it. Take a look. The first part of the post deals with pivoting, so please roll to the middle of the article to find the unpivotting topic. 

Regards. 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
MarcoRotta
Resolver I
Resolver I

Hi pbiuser2.

What you probably want here is to unpivot those months columns and turn them into a single column. Your data model will probably not work fine with them pivoted as they are. I've found this blog post with detailed instructions on how to do it. Take a look. The first part of the post deals with pivoting, so please roll to the middle of the article to find the unpivotting topic. 

Regards. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MarcoRotta, that is brilliant! Thank you!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.