Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

chotu27
Post Patron
Post Patron

How to write query in power BI Desktop with Amazon redshift connection

Hi can write sql queries when connecting to redshift from power bi in similar what is sqlserver having to write sql queries?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@chotu27,

When using the Amazon redshift connector in Power BI Desktop, it is not possible to write SQL queries, we are only able to input server name and database name to get data from Amazon redshift.
1.JPG

As a workaround for this issue, you can create a ODBC data source for Amazon redshift following the guide in this video, then connect to the ODBC data source in power I Desktop, and you can write SQL queries in SQL statement box.
2.JPG

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@chotu27,

When using the Amazon redshift connector in Power BI Desktop, it is not possible to write SQL queries, we are only able to input server name and database name to get data from Amazon redshift.
1.JPG

As a workaround for this issue, you can create a ODBC data source for Amazon redshift following the guide in this video, then connect to the ODBC data source in power I Desktop, and you can write SQL queries in SQL statement box.
2.JPG

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks for this, got it connecting using the ODBC driver. Has anyone been able to get it refreshing after uploading to powerBI app? My scheduled refresh fails because the app doesn't have the required driver.

Hoping someone has come up with a work around, we would like automatic refresh but are reluctant to covert a lot of code from SQL. Is this on the radar for Power BI? I haven't seen it listed as an idea but most of the other establised connections alow SQL. Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks

same issue here. With this solution (connecting using de ODBC driver), it does not allow to use scheduled refresh. We need to be able to query directly using SQL, as we do with our data sources like MySQL. Our database is huge and we cannot import it completely and then filter. We use complexe SQL queries to query our data. This is preventing us from using PowerBI in this case. Using DirectQuery does not allow to do the kind of queries we use in SQL, and it also has the problem that we cannot use other data sources in same PowerBI file. All advantatges of PowerBI are useless if this cannot be done. 

This is an issue here as well. Enabling writing SQL directly against the Redshift datawarehouse would bring it to feature parity with the other database connectors. As it is, I'm using a workaround of creating a view in Redshift, because the ODBC connector is not an option since we need to have it refresh. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.