Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

vchan
Regular Visitor

How to visualize data from a long term plan consisting of multiple spreadsheets

Hi,

I am new to both Power BI and this forum, so I apologize in advance if I am asking something obvious.

Suppose I have 4 spreadsheet tabs all looking like this:

Asset     2019       2020       2021

A             $              $              $

B             $              $              $

C             $              $              $

The first tab contains Labor Costs, second contains Material Costs, third contains Admin Costs, and fourth contains EBITDA. The current relationships among the tables are linked only by Asset as the key.

Questions:

1. How could I display in the first chart the trend of the Sum (Labor, Material, Admin) by Asset by year (x-axis), and the trend of EBITDA by Asset by year (x-axis)? [NTD: The objective is to see if Costs are rising faster than EBITDA.]
  2. How could I display in a second chart the 2019-2021 Average (Labor, Material, Admin) by Asset in a pie-chart? And a third chart the 2019-2021 Average EBITDA by Asset in a pie-chart? [NTD: The objective is to see if a certain Asset is responsible for an out-sized Cost or EBITDA.]

Thanks very much in advance for your time.

6 REPLIES 6
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@vchan,

You would need to unpivot columns in each table, and append cost tables in a single table, then create relationship between the appended table and the EBITDA table. For more details about how to create the two charts, please review attached PBIX file.

1.PNG

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Lydia,

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond to my questions. I was hoping there would be a solution that does not involve "unpivoting" or normalization of the costs tables, and still would allow me to visualize the data in ways similar to the following:

20181011 Sample visualization

where the Costs and EBITDA are the average Costs and average EBITDA of each Asset over 2019-2021. So far, I could only do this by first calculating the 2019-2021 averages into a table. Any instructions that could show me how I could save this first step, perhaps by joining the Costs tables in some ways, would be greatly appreciated. Thanks much in advance.

vchan
Regular Visitor

20181011 Sample visualization.PNG

@vchan

Do you need to add Year to X-Axis in your bar chart? Could you please share me your current PBIX file?

Regards,
Lydia

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Lydia,

Adding "Year" to the x-axis would be informative, but I could live with only being able to see one year at a time (or the average of a few years) like the graphs I have included on Oct 11. Having said that, the bigger challenge for me is how I could avoid the process of normalizing the data supplied to me in the format as per attached every time the forecasts are updated. (Please see attached Excel documents.) I apologize I do not have authority to share the pbix file which contain commercially confidential projections. Thanks much in advance.

Regards,

H:\Other Content\Data\Work\Archives\2018\Analytics\20180910 Pjt 26 Digitization potentials for CPC\S...

H:\Other Content\Data\Work\Archives\2018\Analytics\20180910 Pjt 26 Digitization potentials for CPC\S...

Victor

@vchan,

I am unable to access the above link. You can share dummy data of your table here and post expected result based on sample data. And you can upload Excel file to OneDrive and then post shared link of Excel file here.

Regards,
Lydia

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.