Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

o59393
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

How to visualize Origin Latitud/Longitud and Destination Latitud/Longitud using flow maps

Hi all

I have mapped the Origin Latitud/Longitud and Destination Latitud/Longitud, with its respective country of origin and destination as seen below:

latlong.png

When I use the flow map with the coordinates nothing shows in the map:

2321342d.JPG

However If I use the country/destination name it works (but it uses the center of gravity of each country):

sdasad12.JPG

Also it shows only one origin point in Brazil, when there are actually 2 origin points in that country (see first image of coordinates)

How can I get to work the map with latitudes and logitudes?

Pbix attached:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!ApgeWwGTKtFdh0HYtKf6RfN0rTZM?e=fEKIZh

Thanks !!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@o59393 

Yes you can add Brazil North and Brazil South.

I have just added a new column next to origin column (in th excel file) where the first set of coordinates are named as Brazil North and the other Brazil South.

On slicer on top i have added the new column BUT on the visual i have kept the old origin column (the filtering is done by the slicer on top)

See image and csv dataset attached

image2.JPG

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
sanjibtiwari123
Regular Visitor

Create two columns:

Origin = CONCATENATE(origin_latitude, CONCATENATE(", ", origin_longitude))

Destination = CONCATENATE(dest_latitude, CONCATENATE(", ", dest_longitude))

Use the origin column in origin and destination column in destination in the flow map attributes

The map uses bing search to locate the exact point so this works.

themistoklis
Community Champion
Community Champion

@o59393 

Apart from the origin and destination coordinates (lats and longs) you should also add the Origin and Destination country fields.

Then data will be displayed on the map

Hi @themistoklis 

It's showing me this:

sadasd1.JPG

It's not locating correclty the origin/destinations in LATAM 😕

Any idea?

Thanks.

Hello @o59393 

It seems that the coordinates are not correct.

I checked couple in googlemaps and they are located in the sea.

e.g.

22.9682 -43.1729

Hi @themistoklis 

90% ready, the only problem I see is with Brazil,

The coordinates are correct (see the first 2 maps locations), howevever the 3rd map is not locating Brazil corectly:

maps1.JPG

Seems like it had moved all to the left:

If you use the slicer on Brazil see what happens:

maps2.JPG

Any idea how to fix it?

I attach pbix

https://1drv.ms/u/s!ApgeWwGTKtFdh0LjvvMviPmNd3dt?e=Wv7dX0

Thanks!

@o59393 

I checked your dataset and and it seems that for Brazil you have dupicated rows

you need to remove these duplicated rows and keep the correct set of coordinates for Brazil.

Currently there are the following coordinates:

-22.936389 -43.376944

-12.835278 -38.404444

Hi @themistoklis 

That is correct it should be 2 origin points on Brazil (2 manufacturing sites instead of one).

Do you need the csv file?

Thanks!

@o59393 

If you could share it with me that would be great. Thank you

@o59393 

I checked again and the issue is the visual itself.

When you have the same origin with 2 different coordinates then it automatically sums the values.

When I filtered the data and I selected only one set of coordinates for Brazil then the data were displayed correctly. See image below.

Unfortunately you need to use one set of coordinates per origin.

image.JPG

I have the exact same problem with FlowMap.

When you have two origin points, with correct lat/lon, visual shows -in my case- the average of the two origin points coordiantes (or sum) and that means one can see only one origin point...  but if I use a slicer for origin names, and select each one separately, it shows the correct map.

i can't find a proper solution (no calculation for coordinate fields doesn't work) 

....and another thing with flowmap is that takes forever to make any change and even it freezes, making powerbi desktop to crush. I don't have a lot of data (6000 rows ) so i'll try with ICON MAP to my dashboard. 

And it possible to have some sort of slicer to filter by Brazil North and Brazil South?

So that it doenst sum the coordinates?

Thanks for the help!

@o59393 

Yes you can add Brazil North and Brazil South.

I have just added a new column next to origin column (in th excel file) where the first set of coordinates are named as Brazil North and the other Brazil South.

On slicer on top i have added the new column BUT on the visual i have kept the old origin column (the filtering is done by the slicer on top)

See image and csv dataset attached

image2.JPG

Is there a way to do it just with latitude and longitude? In my particular problem, I have more than 300 origins and destinations coordinates; is there a way to do a flow map just using coordinates of origin and destination?

Awesome!

Can you please share Pbix too?

Thanks

Here you go

https://1drv.ms/u/s!ApgeWwGTKtFdh0MAvfjAGn8Fsr9P?e=TO4m7p

Please feel free to make the changes on the excel file. It´s basically to have visible 2 origin points in Brazil (one north and one south)

Thanks!

@o59393 

Please see my comments on previous post

Sure, please check the last Pbix and excel shared since I added the north and south for Brazil

Thanks!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.