Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

How to visualize 2 different sets of data in 1 single bar chart ?

I have 2 different sets of data, both could not be related with any unique relationship or ID

i) table of raw data with stacks of collumns and rows

ii) budget table with combined and aggregated data for Year 2018

Example:

ii)  table of raw data with stacks of collumns and rows

CountryActualsFiscal QuarterFISCAL YEAR
Japan12Q42017
China15Q42016
Malaysia12Q42016
Thailand13Q42016
New Zealand6Q12017
Indonesia8Q42016
China 10Q42019
Japan5Q32018
Vietnam2Q32018
Australia1Q32018
China3Q12018
Hong Kong25Q42018
China15Q42019
Macau22Q22016
Singapore26Q32017
Taiwan32Q32017

ii) budget table with combined and aggregated data for Year 2018

RegionQ1Q2Q3Q4
Greater China1222325
Japan  1117168
ANZ 13302219
SE ASIA15453927

In Power BI, how do I visualize the above 2 tables into 1 single stack bar chart showing actuals and budget group by region?

The only solution I can think of is to visualized the data in scatter chart and then export the "see records" into CSV files and then combine the exported files with ii) budget table with combined and aggregated data for Year 2018.

However, this approach is manual and not live.

Appreciate better advise.

Many Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Anonymous ll send you the bill hehe 🙂 just kidding

do you have an email address i can send the file to? 

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
vanessafvg
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous i would transform the data in power query , the only thing is your naming for the regions is different, 

is country and region the same or do you have a look up table that brings them together?  also are your budgets all to do with 2018?

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@vanessafvg I don't quite get you. Even after google, no results are showing using Power Query in Power BI.

I appreicate if you can share the most exact link.

Unless you mean query editor and DAX code is part of Power Query.

Please take note I will need the 2 tables to be related and filter to be worked.

If you find difficulty in providing solution let other Microsoft Power BI expert to support this case.

@Anonymous query editor is power query, i have no problem providing the solution only trying to help you understand the product

Anonymous
Not applicable

@vanessafvg let me know once you have the solution with Query Editor 

@Anonymous ll send you the bill hehe 🙂 just kidding

do you have an email address i can send the file to? 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@vanessafvg thank you for your quick reply.

The challenge is to showcase ii) budget table with combined and aggregated data for Year 2018 in Power BI together with i) table of raw data with stacks of collumns and rows.

No Power Query or Excel pivot table is allowed.

Below is the lookup table

ANZ - Australia & New Zealand

SEA - Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand, Indonesia, Vietnam

China - Hong Kong, China, Macau, Taiwan
Japan - Japan

Yes. Budgets is plainly for Year 2018

I will need all sample solutions in Power BI 

@Anonymous power query is part of power bi, are you saying you can't use power query in power bi?  if not why not?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@vanessafvg

i)  table of raw data with stacks of collumns and rows - source file is from Salesforce database

ii) budget table with combined and aggregated data for Year 2018 - source file is from Excel

Running Power Query is an Excel add in

If you insist on running Power Query please advise how would you solve it.

Do take note the dashboard and visualization must be shown in Power BI and not in Excel interface.

Anytime if i)  table of raw data with stacks of collumns and rows is refreshed it should be reflected automatically.

@Anonymous as i said power query is part of power bi, it is not a seperate excel add in, please google this as this is power bi 101 sort of thing, it makes up part of the power bi software

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.