Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ibrahimr
Employee
Employee

How to use visuals to filter slicer

Hello,

My PBIX has both visualizations and slicers. When I change one slicer, all other slicers and visuals are updated, but when I select a certain value in a visual (ex: selecting a single bar in a bar chart), all other visuals are updated but slicers are not. Is there a way for visuals to filter slicer selections?

No slicer filtering selected:

Without slicer filteringWithout slicer filtering

Slider slicer filtered both the bar chart and the dropdown slicer.

The slider filtered both the dropdown and the bar chartThe slider filtered both the dropdown and the bar chart

Selecting the middle bar in the Values bar chart did not make a difference to either slicers. We want to be able to have the slicers dynamically change their values based on selected bar chart value.

Selecting the middle bar in the Values chart didn't make a change with the slider or the dropdown. We want the slicers to be affected by the selected bar in the bar chart.Selecting the middle bar in the Values chart didn't make a change with the slider or the dropdown. We want the slicers to be affected by the selected bar in the bar chart.

6 REPLIES 6
v-stephen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @ibrahimr ,

Sorry to disturb you...

But did I answer your question ? Please mark my reply as solution. Thank you very much.

Best Regards,
Stephen Tao

v-stephen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @ibrahimr ,

Based on my test, the slicer can not be filtered by the visual.

11.png12.png

Best Regards,

Stephen Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@ibrahimr , Not very clear. But interaction is the driver bases. When I click on the bar, where all it can pass the values(Bar is the driver) . Same way when you click on the filter, What all visual will filter.

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@ibrahimr , Please check your interactions, I can see that bar do not interact with the duration

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/create-reports/service-reports-visual-interactions

For independent slicer refer : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyOquvfhzNM

I just double checked, they are all interacting. I selected a bar in the second visual and then a selection from the dropdown, and that made the first visual empty.

Screenshot 2020-11-30 172035.jpg

Ordinarily, if they are interacting and the other slicer returns "empty", it would be that your slicer doesn't meet the parameters of the values you provided (i.e. the value you have selected lies outside the parameter values supplied.

In this scenario, If your data is from 2 sources, then you would need to model your data appropriately. Such that when you select "7" your model knows that its 7 consistiting of users, a, b, c. 

I hope this steers anyone reading this in the right direction - 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.