Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

How to use specific dates as a dimension in a table

Hello guys,  

I am struggling to show the correct dates of  a measure that represents the value of 12 followed months of the first year registered in the date table, for instance: I have dates registired of  1/2019 until 1/2016, and this measure only calculates values of 2019 until 2018. But when I put this measure and the date column in a single table, the column of the date shows the values of the measure even out of the period I specified in the measure, here is the measure above

LAST12MONTHS = CALCULATE([VALUE];
DATESBETWEEN('Bills'[Date];
DATEADD(SAMEPERIODLASTYEAR(LASTDATE('Bills'[Date]));1;MONTH);
LASTDATE('Bills'[Date])))

The measure is calculating correctly the value between these dates, but when I drag this measure and the date column in the same table, the date column doesn't respect the measure and brings dates out of the measure condition. 

How can I make it respect the measure? Like only showing the dates that are being calculated in the measure

3 REPLIES 3
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@Anonymous ,

Do you mean that you wants to get the values of last 12 months based on registered date, in this scenario, we can create a calendar table using dax(Table 2= Calendar("1/1/2016","12/31/2019")) and then create a measure as below. After that, drag date field of bill table and the measure in a table visual.

LAST12MONTHS = 

var thisdate = LASTDATE('Table 2'[Date])

var lastyeardate = DATEADD(LASTDATE('Table 2'[Date]),-1,YEAR)

return

CALCULATE(SUM(Bills[yourfield]),

DATESBETWEEN(Bills[Date],lastyeardate,thisdate))

If the above DAX doesn’t help, could you please share the target result to us? You can share some sample data and target result as an example.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I tried using that, but the measure itself brings an error saying that a MONTH,YEAR, QUARTER is necessary as a argument

@Anonymous ,

Would you mind sharing your PBIX file containing dummy data?

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.