Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

hidenseek9
Post Patron
Post Patron

How to use "Box and Whisker chart by MAQ Software"

Power BI community

With new Jan release, I would like to use Box and Whisker chart by MAQ Software visual properly

to show

1. average price a product is sold at a store
  2. Max price the product is sold at the store
  3. Min Price the product is sold at the store

Sample Data

I am currently showing the average price of each product by would like to show Max price and Min price as well.

How can I achieve this using the new "Box and Whisker chart by MAQ Software"??

Many thanks,

H

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hello,

As the visual cannot distinguish between one price of August 3rd to another price of August 3rd, so the visual was providing data as a sum. We have assumed that the 'Tempo Name' field is able to distinguish between these two prices.

So for brand 'Baby Danone' and SKU 'BD Green Veg' for August 3rd 2017, the data is

Min - 178

Max - 268

Average - 222.52

2.PNG4.PNG

3.PNG

Which we can easily display by providing 'Tempo Name' in Axis field -

1.png

If 'Tempo Name' is not the correct field, then just provide any primary id which can distinguish between the data.

Thanks!!

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

I am attempting to use the whisker box to display salaries across the business. Our salary ranges have a minimum, midpoint, and maximum. How can I separately show those points on the chart along with the chart-generated quartile ranges?

@MAQSupport 

Could you kindly help @Anonymous ?

Thanks,

H

BrunaSeixas
Frequent Visitor

Hi,

Is it possible to choose which statistical measure to see on the tooltip of the visualization? I would not like to have values for quartiles, for example.

Hello,

In the current version of Box and Whisker by MAQ Software, the tooltip is not configurable as to which measures needs to be displayed. 

But in view of your request, we have added this enhancement in our backlog and will notify you on this thread when we have this in our next update for this visual.

Thanks.

MAQSupport
Solution Supplier
Solution Supplier

Hello,

We have gone through your data, but we were unable to understand your requirement. 

Please provide the items listed below so that we can reproduce the issue and further investigate it:

• Detailed description of requirement

• Issue faced (if any)

Providing the details listed above will help us better prioritize this issue in our backlog and address it sooner.

We can be reached at support@maqsoftware.com

@MAQSupport

Hello. Thank you for your response.

I have created a simple sample data such as below.

Sample Data

Here is what I would like to do.

1. Create a filter on Store Names and Product Names which I did as below.

2018-02-05 11_13_31-180205_Sample Data - Power BI Desktop.png

1. Use a box and whisker visual to show the max price, the min price and the average price of a particular product by month (axis)

2018-02-05 11_13_51-180205_Sample Data - Power BI Desktop.png

This last step I am struggling with.

Thank you for your support!

Many thanks,

H

Hello,

Just add 'Product' to 'Axis' field, as shown in the snapshot.Box and Whisker by MAQ Software.png

Here max price is value shown in front of Maximum, min price is value shown in front of minimum and Arithmetic mean is the average.

Please reach out to us at support@maqsoftware.com for any further queries.

Thanks!!

@MAQSupport

Thank you for the response.

The problem with this is that the visual is not showing the max and min value of the product.

It is showing the summation of the price.

For instance, in below shot, based on the data,

I would like to see a visual with the following for Jan (Carmelo 1)

• Max:           150
  • Min:            110
  • Average:      132.5

2018-02-05 14_48_44-180205_Sample Data - Power BI Desktop.png

2018-02-05 14_52_22-180205_Sample Data - Power BI Desktop.png

Thank you for your help!

H

Hello,

For that,

Just provide 'Check Date' in 'Axis' and 'Axis Category I'; 'Product' as 'Axis Category II' and 'Price' as 'Value' as shown in snapshot below -

Capture1.PNG

For further information please download the User Guide of Box and Whisker by MAQ Software from here

If the information meets your needs, then we would greatly appreciate it if you posted your review of this visual at AppSource.

Thanks!!

@MAQSupport

Thank you for the reply and the manual on how to use.

With the sample data set provided, your solution works perfectly.

However, with my actual dataset, the price is summing up.

I have set up the rows and columns as you mentioned.

I am not sure why the price is summing up.

Any advise?

Many thanks,

H

2018-02-07 16_25_19-TEMPO Data_v2 - Power BI Desktop.png

Hello,

The data is not summarized. The dots represent the individual data. As shown in the image below

Untitled.pngUntitled1.png

Thanks!!

@MAQSupport

Thank you for your response, and it actually is summing up the data at store level.

25709 on Aug 3 that you see below for the team is a summation of all the prices at each store (tempo) level for the team.

Please refer to the second screenshot.

Tempo means a store.

2018-02-08 10_26_51-Reply to Message - Microsoft Power BI Community.png

2018-02-08 10_29_26-TEMPO Data_v2 - Power BI Desktop.png

So what I would like to see on Aug 3 is that

Max: 267

Min: 185

Average: 227.5

(Exclusing a value 0)

2018-02-08 10_32_38-TEMPO Data_v2 - Power BI Desktop.png2018-02-08 10_33_19-TEMPO Data_v2 - Power BI Desktop.png

Do you think my requirement above is feasible with Box and Whisker visual?

Many thanks,

H

Hello,

As the visual cannot distinguish between one price of August 3rd to another price of August 3rd, so the visual was providing data as a sum. We have assumed that the 'Tempo Name' field is able to distinguish between these two prices.

So for brand 'Baby Danone' and SKU 'BD Green Veg' for August 3rd 2017, the data is

Min - 178

Max - 268

Average - 222.52

2.PNG4.PNG

3.PNG

Which we can easily display by providing 'Tempo Name' in Axis field -

1.png

If 'Tempo Name' is not the correct field, then just provide any primary id which can distinguish between the data.

Thanks!!

@MAQSupport

Awesome! This works perfectly!

Thank you so much!

H

Hello!

i’m also interested in the visual. Is there any way to display the max/min/average values in the visual (apart from the tooltips)?

It would be great if you could, and  also enable the option of which values to dsiplay in the tooltips itself.

I would like to use the visual to display simple values stated above, to reflect max/min/average prices, and it would be more user friendly if the option to actually see the values was available, and lower the “clutter” (in my instance) within the tooltips.

regards,

Paul.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
In doing so, you are also helping me. Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!
Paul on Linkedin.

Hello Paul,

Max, Min and Average are already shown in the visual as shown in the snapshot below

Capture2.PNG

For tooltips visible when we hover on dots, all fields are necessary to identify the dot.

For tooltips visible when we hover on Box and Whisker, we have added your request to our backlog. Please reach out to us with detailed description regarding which fields you want to display at support@maqsoftware.com

Thanks!!

@MAQSupport

Thank you for that explanation. I apologise since I was not clear. What I mean by displaying the values is to see the atual "number" for max/min/average, as well as the line/dot.

What I think would also be very useful is if the tooltips displayed the number of samples analysed.

Thanks again,

Paul.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
In doing so, you are also helping me. Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!
Paul on Linkedin.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.