Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

helalm
Helper II
Helper II

How to use "AND" & "OR" in an IF statement excluding Blanks

I need help to use both "AND" or "OR" in an IF statement in DAX. Here is the formula that generates error:

Failure = if (and(Data[PERCENT1] >= 0,Data[PERCENT1] <= 85) || if(and(Data[PERCENT2]>= 0, Data[PERCENT2] <= 85) || if(and(Data[PERCENT3]>=0,Data[PERCENT3]<=85), "Fail", "Pass")

Basically, trying to determine pass/fail across three columns where a subject who has score <= 85% in any of the three, excluding BLANK, has a fail flag. THe >= 0 is not the best way to get rif of BLANK but it does work. 

Thank you

Helal

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@helalm , Try like

if ( and(Data[PERCENT1]+0 >= 0,Data[PERCENT1]+0 <= 85) || and(Data[PERCENT2]+0>= 0, Data[PERCENT2]+0 <= 85) || and(Data[PERCENT3]+0>=0,Data[PERCENT3]+0<=85), "Fail", "Pass")

View solution in original post

Anonymous
Not applicable

hi @helalm 

Here you go

Failure =
if( (ISBLANK(Data[PERCENT1]) || ISBLANK(Data[PERCENT2]) || ISBLANK(Data[PERCENT3])), "Blank",if (((Data[PERCENT1] >= 0 &&Data[PERCENT1] <= 85) || (Data[PERCENT2]>= 0 && Data[PERCENT2] <= 85) || (Data[PERCENT3]>=0 && Data[PERCENT3]<=85)), "Fail", "Pass")

Thanks!

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

hi @helalm 

Here you go

Failure = if (((Data[PERCENT1] >= 0 &&Data[PERCENT1] <= 85) || (Data[PERCENT2]>= 0 && Data[PERCENT2] <= 85) || (Data[PERCENT3]>=0 && Data[PERCENT3]<=85)), "Fail", "Pass")

Thanks!

Thank you...it looks like > 0 don't take care of BLANKS. Can BLANKS be assigned? like 'Failed', 'Passed','BLANKS'?

Anonymous
Not applicable

hi @helalm ,

Do you mean if any of Percent1/Percent2/Percent3 is Blank, assign the value as "Fail"?

Thanks!

hi @Anonymous ,

No, since it seems that blanks have already been accounted for in "Fail". I want to have a separate category as "Blanks". So, the group will be "Fail", "Pass", and "Blanks". Hope it makes sense.

Thank you

Anonymous
Not applicable

hi @helalm 

Here you go

Failure =
if( (ISBLANK(Data[PERCENT1]) || ISBLANK(Data[PERCENT2]) || ISBLANK(Data[PERCENT3])), "Blank",if (((Data[PERCENT1] >= 0 &&Data[PERCENT1] <= 85) || (Data[PERCENT2]>= 0 && Data[PERCENT2] <= 85) || (Data[PERCENT3]>=0 && Data[PERCENT3]<=85)), "Fail", "Pass")

Thanks!

Perfect...Thanks a lot.

Helal

Anonymous
Not applicable

hi @helalm ,

Did this work?

If yes, Kindly mark my post as solution!!! Also would appreciate Kudos :)!!!

hi @Anonymous,

Yes, it did work. I am trying to get a variation of the formula and cross check with other variables. Here is the new code:

MSVTFail_IflmBias_chk =
if((ISBLANK(Data[MSVTCONSISTANCYPERCENT]) || ISBLANK(Data[MSVTDELAYEDRECALLPERCENT]) || ISBLANK(Data[MSVTIMMEDIATERECALLPERCENT]) ||
(Data[mBIAS_tot]=999)), "Blank",if (((Data[MSVTCONSISTANCYPERCENT] >= 0 &&Data[MSVTCONSISTANCYPERCENT] <= 85) || (Data[MSVTDELAYEDRECALLPERCENT]>= 0 && Data[MSVTDELAYEDRECALLPERCENT] <= 85) ||
(Data[MSVTIMMEDIATERECALLPERCENT]>=0 && Data[MSVTIMMEDIATERECALLPERCENT]<=85)) && (Data[mBIAS_tot]>=8) && ((Data[mBIAS_tot] = 999)), "MSVTF_InmBias", "Pass"))
The issue here is Data[mBIAS_tot] = 999 (eq missing) may have valid data across the firs three percent variables. the reverse is also true. Blanks on the three percent variables may have valid data on mBias score. The existing code doesn't check for all conditions. I don't know if this makes any sense to you. If not, pelase let me know so I an explain more. 

Thank you,
Helald 
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@helalm , Try like

if ( and(Data[PERCENT1]+0 >= 0,Data[PERCENT1]+0 <= 85) || and(Data[PERCENT2]+0>= 0, Data[PERCENT2]+0 <= 85) || and(Data[PERCENT3]+0>=0,Data[PERCENT3]+0<=85), "Fail", "Pass")

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.