Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ansa_naz
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

How to use multiple slicer values to filter measure results

Hi all

I have been pondering this problem for a while now, and looked at lots of posts online about how to use slicer selection in a measure, but they all deal with ONE selection. I need to deal with multiple selections.

I have a disconnected table called Overdue, with below values:

Yes

No

No Report

I have added this to a slicer. I need to create a measure which does the following:

RepDate = 

VAR _LastDate =
    MAX ( Reports[Report date] )

RETURN

IF(
        // This first IF condition forces the measure to evaluate in the context of the visual
	HASONEVALUE(Lifts[Lift ID]),
                // This next condition avoids getting the error that the visual cannot be displayed
		IF(HASONEVALUE(Overdue[Overdue]),
                        // This switch statement uses the values from Overdue slicer to determine which measure to display
			SWITCH(
          			VALUES(Overdue[Overdue]),
          			"Yes",[RepDateYes],
                                "No",[RepDateNo]
                    ),
            // If the Overdue slicer has not been selected, just display the date of the report
			if(COUNTROWS(Overdue)=3,if(ISBLANK(_LastDate),blank(),_LastDate),

// If the Overdue slicer has multiple selections, display measures only for slicer selections
            if(CONTAINS(Overdue,Overdue[Overdue],"Yes",Overdue[Overdue],"No"),[RepDateYes]||[RepDateNo]
            )

)

)
)

Its the fourth IF statement I cannot get to work properly. RepDateNew is used in a table visual, and I want to show values from 2 measures if 2 slicer selections have been made. But all I get is FALSE value in every row when multiple selections are made. See below:

Multi slicer selection.jpg

Any help would be most appreciated

I also have an example PBI report below:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AuiIgc_S9J5JhbYL_-CFbONVzOLWDA

Cheers

2 REPLIES 2
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Something does not look correct about that 4th IF

if(

CONTAINS(Overdue,Overdue[Overdue],"Yes",Overdue[Overdue],"No")  //condition

,[RepDateYes]||[RepDateNo]  //true

)

Where is your false condition? Also, perhaps break your contains into 2 conditions with an || between them.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Hi @Greg_Deckler, thanks for your reply

I thought a double pipe || was used as an OR in DAX? I need the condition to read as an AND, so if BOTH those two slicer selections are made then return BOTH the two measures in the TRUE part. Any ideas how I can do that?

I have amended the overall measure to read as below so it has a FALSE statement too, althougnh I thought it wasnt needed in DAX? I have read lots of IF statements online where the FALSE part is not always there if it isnt needed?

// If the Overdue slicer has multiple selections, display measures only for slicer selections
            if(CONTAINS(Overdue,Overdue[Overdue],"Yes",Overdue[Overdue],"No"),[RepDateYes]||[RepDateNo]
            , if(CONTAINS(Overdue,Overdue[Overdue],"Yes",Overdue[Overdue],"No Report"),[RepDateYes]||[RepDateNoReport]
            ,[RepDateNo]||[RepDateNoReport]
            ))

The visual still shows TRUE/FALSE (incorrectly), instead of returning the measure values?

Multi slicer selection1.jpg

Cheers

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.