Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

yuching_chang
Helper II
Helper II

How to use measure to display dynamic tooltip by Row Input on Matrix?

Hi there,

I've reviewed many related posts in the community, but haven't found the solutions yet...so ask here

I have below Matrix with hierarchy: Group-ID-Location-Vendor, each of the tier has own 1 table for 3 indicators, and I wrote Dax to dynamically display the indicator values based on user drill to which tier (e.g. Indicator 1 is a measure, Indicator 2 is another measure)

I'm building a page tooltip for the Matrix and hope (1)

- When I'm at Vendor tier, the tooltip can catch the data from Vendor table and display indicator details at this level

- When I'm at Location tier, the tooltip can catch the data from Location table and display indicator details at this level

- The same for ID and Group Tier

Picture4.PNG

Picture2.png

Picture3.png

(2) If I only need tooltip for Indicator 1, can I only pop up tooltip when I hover to Indicator 1 value, and pop up nothing when I hover to Indicator 2 and 3?

(3) If the values for Indicator 1 appear in few weeks, can I only pop up tooltip when there's value in the week, and pop up nothing if no value?

Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thanks for all the replies! I've solved this issue using ISFILTERED as below

So when I'm at Vendor level on the Matrix, it pops up tooltip for Vendor-level indicator when hover over; when at Location level, it pops up for Location-level indicator....etc.  The tooltip dynamically changes based on the hierarchy on the Matrix.

Tooltip =
SWITCH(TRUE(),
    ISFILTERED(Table4[Vendor]),
        SUM(Table4[Indicator1]),
    ISFILTERED(Table3[Location]),
        SUM(Table3[Indicator1]),
    ISFILTERED(Table2[ID]),
        SUM(Table2[Indicator1]),
    ISFILTERED(Table1[Group]),
        SUM(Table1[Indicator1])
)

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

Hi @amitchandak 

thanks for the reply. And let me make it clearer about the challenges I faced

- I use 4 tables to structure the Matrix, 1 table for Group, 1 for ID, 1 for Location, 1 for Vendor. The reason not to consolidate in 1 table is, the 3 indicators for each tier have no correlation - Namely, Indicator 1 for Group is not the Sum or Average from Indicator 1 of ID

- The info on the Page Tooltip that I'd like to show when hover over are also separated among 4 tables. So I need to build a dax to dynamically call out the details from different tables when users are at the certain hierarchy - Namely, when users are at ID-level Matrix, it should show ID-level info when hover over; when users drill up from ID to Group level, it should show Group-level info when hover over

- To sum up, I don't know how to build the interaction between Matrix and Page Tooltip through Dax...

Hope it's much clearer now. Thanks in advance for the help!

HI @yuching_chang,

Maybe you can refer to the following blog to use ISINSCOPE function to create a dynamic measure based on different hierarchy filters: Use IsInScope to get the right hierarchy level in DAX 

Then you can use this measure formula in report tooltips to create custom report tooltips.
Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

hi @v-shex-msft 

I already tried ISINSCOPE for measures, and in fact, for my current Matrix, I use ISINSCOPE to identify the hierarchy and display values and it works, just when I use the same measure for page tooltip it doesn't work...

Currently on page tooltip, I direclty use Card to call the measure. That is, I use the same measure for both Matrix and Page tooltip, but when I hover over the Matrix, the tooltip doesn't change accordingly...seems like ISINSCOPE only applies to Matrix not Card...

Hope there's any suggestion to approach it, thanks!

Hi @yuching_chang,

ISINSCOPE function is checked based on current row contents. When you use that formula on the card, It's row content is the whole table and corresponds filter effect which you applied on that table. So ISINSCOPE function not able to check on the different hierarchy levels.
For your scenario, you can add some visual level filters to a specific particular row content level.
Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Thanks for all the replies! I've solved this issue using ISFILTERED as below

So when I'm at Vendor level on the Matrix, it pops up tooltip for Vendor-level indicator when hover over; when at Location level, it pops up for Location-level indicator....etc.  The tooltip dynamically changes based on the hierarchy on the Matrix.

Tooltip =
SWITCH(TRUE(),
    ISFILTERED(Table4[Vendor]),
        SUM(Table4[Indicator1]),
    ISFILTERED(Table3[Location]),
        SUM(Table3[Indicator1]),
    ISFILTERED(Table2[ID]),
        SUM(Table2[Indicator1]),
    ISFILTERED(Table1[Group]),
        SUM(Table1[Indicator1])
)

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.