Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

soja
Regular Visitor

How to use an OR operator between FILTER statements in a CALCULATE expression?

Hello, 

I am still fairly new to DAX and Power BI and am having trouble solving a problem.  I am trying to figure out how to write an expression (in a measure) that evaluates a 8 variables (which have been assigned rank to make it more straight fwd).   Basically, I want to have the first filter followed by and AND statement (which is currently correct) and then have all the rest of the filters be OR statements.  However, the last 2 filter variables exist in a different table which require me to use another FILTER statement with RELATEDTABLE to access.  Is there a way to link the last 2 FILTERs with OR statements instead of the AND statement assumed by the comma?

What I have so far is this (which produces an answer that underestimates the actual results due to the additional AND statements):

Indicator = CALCULATE(COUNTX('Table1', 'Table1'[IDNumber]),

FILTER('Table1', [Rank1] >=4||[Listed?]="yes"),

FILTER('Table1', [Rank2] >=13||[Rank3]>=15||[Rank4]>=15||[Rank5]>=6||[Rank6]>=10),

FILTER(RELATEDTABLE(Table2), Table2[Rank7]>=8),

FILTER(RELATEDTABLE(Table3), Table3[Rank8]>=5))

Conversely, if I could create another calculated column in Table1 for the Rank7 and Rank8, that would also work.  But I am not sure how to assign rank to a column from a related table in a calculated column.  If there is a way to do this, that would also solve my problem.  (NOTE:  All tables have appropriate relationships and are joined through the "IDNumber", though some have many-to-one relationships).

Thank you in advance for you help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi soja,

I'm afraid you can't use OR() function directly, as a workaround, why not merge table2 and table3 based on IDNumber column as a new table firstly? Then you can use DAX like:

result =
FILTER (
    RELATEDTABLE ( newtable ),
    newtable[rank7] >= 8
        || newtable[rank8] >= 5
)

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi soja,

I'm afraid you can't use OR() function directly, as a workaround, why not merge table2 and table3 based on IDNumber column as a new table firstly? Then you can use DAX like:

result =
FILTER (
    RELATEDTABLE ( newtable ),
    newtable[rank7] >= 8
        || newtable[rank8] >= 5
)

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Might be able to use OR function, https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/query-bi/dax/or-function-dax

Sample data would be helpful, Please see this post regarding How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/How-to-Get-Your-Question-Answered-Quickly/ba-p/38490

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.