Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

T2
Helper II
Helper II

How to use a slicer to constrain values from multiple tables lacking active relationships

I need to show two table visualizations on a page.

One will show columns from the Issues table only.

The other will show columns from the Risks table only.

The Workstreams table is the parent.

The Issues and Risks tables are children.

There are active relationships between the Workstreams table and the Issues table, and between the Workstreams table and the Risks table.

slicers when you have a circular relationship.png

I want to use a single slicer to only show Issues and Risks whose Category column is selected in a slicer on the Category table's Category column.

However, because the Category table creates a circular relationship when I add the second relationship between Category and Risks, that relationship is set as Inactive.

Because it is an inactive relationship, I cannot easily use the slicer.

It *feels to me* the DAX required to deal with this should not be difficult. However, I cannot find the answer. I see lots of examples of similar questions but none clearly answering the question, using more words, how can one use a single slicer to constrain rows from multiple tables when the slicer source table does not have an active relationship with all of those tables.

Help, please.

Thank you!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

Do you really need the two relationships from Workstreams to be Bi-Directional? If you change them to a single direction filter you will then be able to activate the relationship between Category and Risks and you will get the behaviour you are after without any special DAX.

View solution in original post

v-eachen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @T2 ,

You could use a single slicer table ( no relationship with other tables ) and create measures to show the comparison results ( like TRUE/FALSE or 1/0 ).
You could refer to the following DAX:

Measure = 
IF(SELECTEDVALUE(Slicer[ID])=SELECTEDVALUE(risk[ID]),1,0)

Then you could set measure in the filter pane to show the result you want.

4-1.PNG

Here is my test file for your reference.

Community Support Team _ Eads
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-eachen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @T2 ,

You could use a single slicer table ( no relationship with other tables ) and create measures to show the comparison results ( like TRUE/FALSE or 1/0 ).
You could refer to the following DAX:

Measure = 
IF(SELECTEDVALUE(Slicer[ID])=SELECTEDVALUE(risk[ID]),1,0)

Then you could set measure in the filter pane to show the result you want.

4-1.PNG

Here is my test file for your reference.

Community Support Team _ Eads
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it.

Thanks! This DAX does work as indicated.

One caveat: I did not state it in my original request but I am expecting users to select one or more of the options in the slicer. This solution doesn't work for multiple selections.

d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

Do you really need the two relationships from Workstreams to be Bi-Directional? If you change them to a single direction filter you will then be able to activate the relationship between Category and Risks and you will get the behaviour you are after without any special DAX.

It worked as you said it would. I did not expect directionality to be the issue.

I'm going to have to read up to understand the "why" of this because I still have a circular join, which I thought would not be allowed.

Best of all, your solution works with one or more slicer options selected, which, while not specified, is a requirement for me.

Thank you very much!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.