Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

How to use Time Intelligence when you only have year and quarter

Hi,

I have to build up a dashboard where I show how things have change from one quarter to another. However, we are collecting the data quartely therefore, the only date data in my dataset are year and quarter. 

Is it possible to use Time Intelligence in this case since a don't have specific dates? 

Do you have any tips or resources that I should look at?

Thank You,

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Fowmy
Super User
Super User

@Matpel10

The date table is assumed to have continuous dates from the beginning to the end of the year to support the time intelligence function. However, if applicable, you can create a Year Quater Table and with a YYYYQQ and link key then use custom measurement without the use of time intelligence.

If my answer was helpful, consider Accepting it as the solution to help other members find it

Click the Thumbs-Up icon if you like this answer 🙂

Youtube Linkedin

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! and hit thumbs up

Subscribe and learn Power BI from these videos

Website LinkedIn PBI User Group

View solution in original post

edhans
Super User
Super User

Yes @Anonymous . I generally recomend you convert those times to actual dates. I usually recommend using the quarter end or year end. This is easy to do with Power Query. My data in this example only contains the first two columns, Month and Year.

edhans_0-1604340763372.png

From there, I use Date.FromText and the Date.EndOfMonth, Date.EndOfQuarter, or Date.EndOfYear functions to create whatever date I need.

See this M code:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45W8krMU9JRMjIwMlCK1YlWcktNQub6JhbBubEA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Month = _t, Year = _t]),
    #"Added Month End" = Table.AddColumn(Source, "Month End", each Date.EndOfMonth(Date.FromText([Month] & " 1, " & [Year]))),
    #"Added Quarter End" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added Month End", "Quarter End", each Date.EndOfQuarter(Date.FromText([Month] & " 1, " & [Year]))),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added Quarter End", "Year End", each Date.EndOfYear(Date.FromText([Month] & " 1, " & [Year]))),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Added Custom",{{"Month End", type date}, {"Quarter End", type date}, {"Year End", type date}})
in
    #"Changed Type"

How to use M code provided in a blank query:
1) In Power Query, select New Source, then Blank Query
2) On the Home ribbon, select "Advanced Editor" button
3) Remove everything you see, then paste the M code I've given you in that box.
4) Press Done
5) See this article if you need help using this M code in your model.

If your data is in a different format, and you are having trouble getting it to convert to a date, provide some sample data.

How to get good help fast. Help us help you.
How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly
How to provide sample data in the Power BI Forum

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
edhans
Super User
Super User

Yes @Anonymous . I generally recomend you convert those times to actual dates. I usually recommend using the quarter end or year end. This is easy to do with Power Query. My data in this example only contains the first two columns, Month and Year.

edhans_0-1604340763372.png

From there, I use Date.FromText and the Date.EndOfMonth, Date.EndOfQuarter, or Date.EndOfYear functions to create whatever date I need.

See this M code:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45W8krMU9JRMjIwMlCK1YlWcktNQub6JhbBubEA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Month = _t, Year = _t]),
    #"Added Month End" = Table.AddColumn(Source, "Month End", each Date.EndOfMonth(Date.FromText([Month] & " 1, " & [Year]))),
    #"Added Quarter End" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added Month End", "Quarter End", each Date.EndOfQuarter(Date.FromText([Month] & " 1, " & [Year]))),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added Quarter End", "Year End", each Date.EndOfYear(Date.FromText([Month] & " 1, " & [Year]))),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Added Custom",{{"Month End", type date}, {"Quarter End", type date}, {"Year End", type date}})
in
    #"Changed Type"

How to use M code provided in a blank query:
1) In Power Query, select New Source, then Blank Query
2) On the Home ribbon, select "Advanced Editor" button
3) Remove everything you see, then paste the M code I've given you in that box.
4) Press Done
5) See this article if you need help using this M code in your model.

If your data is in a different format, and you are having trouble getting it to convert to a date, provide some sample data.

How to get good help fast. Help us help you.
How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly
How to provide sample data in the Power BI Forum

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting
Fowmy
Super User
Super User

@Matpel10

The date table is assumed to have continuous dates from the beginning to the end of the year to support the time intelligence function. However, if applicable, you can create a Year Quater Table and with a YYYYQQ and link key then use custom measurement without the use of time intelligence.

If my answer was helpful, consider Accepting it as the solution to help other members find it

Click the Thumbs-Up icon if you like this answer 🙂

Youtube Linkedin

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! and hit thumbs up

Subscribe and learn Power BI from these videos

Website LinkedIn PBI User Group

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.