Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

How to use Templates on the PowerBI Web App?

Hi all, 

I managed to create a Template (.pbit) for my reports on PowerBI Desktop. 

I have multiple Excel files on my computer with each time the same format but different data. I therefore created a report with various graphs on PowerBI Desktop and made a Template (.pbit) from it. With this Template and the parameters, I can have the same graphs for each Excel file and with the right data by introducing the filepath of the desired Excel file as a parameter. 

However, I wanted to know if it was possible to do the same thing on the PowerBI Web App. So that people in my organization could open any Excel file (with the same format) and have access to those graphs in the Template, but from the PowerBI Web App. (so they can see the visuals for their Excel file without having to download PowerBI Desktop). 

I would therefore like to know if it was possible to use this Template from the Web App and store it in a Sharepoint folder with the different Excel files associated to it. And so see the visuals from Excel files stored in a Sharepoint and not on the computer. 

Thank you for your time, 

Regards. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-xulin-mstf
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @XavierB,

Depend on your need, you can do as following steps:

• Build a data model and report in a .pbix file in Power bi .
  • Create a workspace. Import .pbix file. Create a complementary dashboard.
  • Create a test package and run internal validation.
  • Promote the test package to preproduction for validation outside your Power BI tenant, and submit it to AppSource.
  • Promote the preproduction package to production.

Please refer:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/service-template-apps-overview

Best Regards,
Link

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-xulin-mstf
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @XavierB,

Depend on your need, you can do as following steps:

• Build a data model and report in a .pbix file in Power bi .
  • Create a workspace. Import .pbix file. Create a complementary dashboard.
  • Create a test package and run internal validation.
  • Promote the test package to preproduction for validation outside your Power BI tenant, and submit it to AppSource.
  • Promote the preproduction package to production.

Please refer:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/service-template-apps-overview

Best Regards,
Link

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi! 

Thank you for your answer!

However, in the meantime, I tried another method and I just succeeded in achieving what I wanted.
If anyone is interested, I followed this video ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GIz50pftZ0&ab_channel=Curbal ) to import my Excel files from SharePoint. I then used a filter on PowerBI to select the data related to the file I wanted and imported it into the PowerBI Web App.

But I will also try your way and see how it goes and which solution is the most suitable. 

Thank you again for your time, 

Regards. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.