Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Tahreem24
Super User
Super User

How to use Like function of SQL in Dax

Hi,

My column name say Name contains long text string out of which i want to extract only specfic word so how can I achieve this requirement?

I tried using Search/Find/Contains functions but didn't get the expected result.

Input Column value:                                                                          Output Column

Experiment_RSA_home_loans_Brand_BMM                                     Home

Experiment_RSA_Home_Loan_Brand_Exact                                      Home

Exp - Core - Phrase - USA - New Ads                                               USA

Any lead would be really appreciated!

Don't forget to give thumbs up and accept this as a solution if it helped you!!!

Please take a quick glance at newly created dashboards : Restaurant Management Dashboard , HR Analytics Report , Hotel Management Report, Sales Analysis Report , Fortune 500 Companies Analysis , Revenue Tracking Dashboard
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AnthonyTilley
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

hi @Tahreem24 

if your looking for a way to check a string against a list of values and return one of those valuse if it exsists in your string then the method below should work 

Create a table of values in this case mine is called search_Values

the table should have two colunms the first is the search and the second a numeric id for each value (must be unique)

example below 

SearchID

HOME1
USA2

then use this colunm to get do your search aginst the values in the table 

Column = 
-- Declare a veriable to hold the id number of search term
VAR incl =  
        -- MAXX will check each row of the search values table to see if the value exsists in the input colunm and return the max id 
        MAXX(Search_Values,
                if(
                    --use find to check if the value in the search values, search colunm is in the string
                    FIND(
                    UPPER(Search_Values[Search]),
                    UPPER('Table'[Input Column]),1,0)
                    -- if the value is in the string then return the id else return blank
                > 0 ,Search_Values[ID],blank()))
-- if several values exist then only the max id will be returned as you can only have one valuein the colunm

--use the id value returned above to look up the word and return it  
 var ret = LOOKUPVALUE(Search_Values[Search],Search_Values[ID],incl)
 -- return search term
 RETURN ret    

Warning - this can only be used to return a single value. if your string had both "HOME" and "USA" then it would only return USA as this is the highest id value 

search.png

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
AnthonyTilley
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

hi @Tahreem24 

if your looking for a way to check a string against a list of values and return one of those valuse if it exsists in your string then the method below should work 

Create a table of values in this case mine is called search_Values

the table should have two colunms the first is the search and the second a numeric id for each value (must be unique)

example below 

SearchID

HOME1
USA2

then use this colunm to get do your search aginst the values in the table 

Column = 
-- Declare a veriable to hold the id number of search term
VAR incl =  
        -- MAXX will check each row of the search values table to see if the value exsists in the input colunm and return the max id 
        MAXX(Search_Values,
                if(
                    --use find to check if the value in the search values, search colunm is in the string
                    FIND(
                    UPPER(Search_Values[Search]),
                    UPPER('Table'[Input Column]),1,0)
                    -- if the value is in the string then return the id else return blank
                > 0 ,Search_Values[ID],blank()))
-- if several values exist then only the max id will be returned as you can only have one valuein the colunm

--use the id value returned above to look up the word and return it  
 var ret = LOOKUPVALUE(Search_Values[Search],Search_Values[ID],incl)
 -- return search term
 RETURN ret    

Warning - this can only be used to return a single value. if your string had both "HOME" and "USA" then it would only return USA as this is the highest id value 

search.png

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.