Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

CLCastroEn
Helper IV
Helper IV

How to update report data automatically

Hello everyone:

I have a report already ready and published in power bi so that my whole team can see the charts. The data I use is an EXCEL with many rows, more than 800,000 rows. what I have to do is weekly, save the data in the bottom rows of that EXCEL data, but excel does not support so many rows, so my idea is to add a new file in each update, that is; this week add a new excel to my sharepoint and have my report save it automatically. Then, for the next week just upload another excel file and it will also be saved to the consolidated report with all the data from all excel files that I have.

I would appreciate it if I showed the types of actions that can be done in power BI, and if you need power bi pro, no problem because I can get it. Thank you very much!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @CLCastroEn ,

It can be done in PBI Desktop, but it can also be done in DataFlows online in the PBI Service. The example picture I attached earlier is actually from an online DataFlow implementation where I use this technique to combine millions of rows of GPS data.

Pete

Now accepting Kudos! If my post helped you, why not give it a thumbs-up?

Proud to be a Datanaut!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
FrankAT
Community Champion
Community Champion

BA_Pete
Super User
Super User

Hi @CLCastroEn ,

1) Go to New Source then select Sharepoint Folder.

2) Navigate to the folder where all your Excel files are kept and select Combine & Load. Make sure that the only files in this folder are the ones you want to combine.

3) You will see that Power Query has set up some steps for you like this:

castro1.PNG

4) Select Transform Sample File query and you should see one of your Excel files in there. Perform all the transformations in this query that you want done to ALL of the files in the folder BEFORE they are combined e.g. Use first row as headers, Change Types etc.

5) You should see one of the queries has not been blocked from loading to the model (name is not in italic script). This is the combined result of all of your Sharepoint files. You can then perform further transformation in this query on the combined dataset.

Pete

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Anonymous
Not applicable

This is fine, providing your column headers are all named the same, and the format is the same, 

just go to:
* Get Data
* either "Folder" or "SharePoint Folder"

* Select the desired folder

* Click "Combine & Transform Data" 

This will bring the files into one. 

Karlos_0-1597418269127.png

and can I do this without entering the power bi desktop? in order to leave these processes automated. In order to only update the sharepoint data

Hi @CLCastroEn ,

It can be done in PBI Desktop, but it can also be done in DataFlows online in the PBI Service. The example picture I attached earlier is actually from an online DataFlow implementation where I use this technique to combine millions of rows of GPS data.

Pete

Proud to be a Datanaut!

mhossain
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

@CLCastroEn 

It's doable, there are multiple ways to do that. Please check below link if this helps:

https://thinkaboutit.be/2020/02/how-do-i-implement-an-incremental-refresh-in-power-bi-free-or-pro/

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.