Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

ADC
Frequent Visitor

How to update just some tables

Hello all...

Is it possible to update just some tables in Power BI?

I need to regularly update 3 different tables, but I have like 30 tables in total in my Desktop Power BI.

I'd like to update just these 3 tables in one step.

Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

To the best of my knowledge, I'm not aware of a way to do what you are asking. I'm thinking that maybe you could get there using a query parameter that each query would check, but I don't think that you could just "exit" the query and not do data refresh. @ImkeF, any magic?

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Mabuse1

there are 2 ways:

1. Automatic: Go to Power Query Editor, right click on each table you don't want to refresh and untick "Include in refresh". That'll exclude these tables from the global refreshing unless you return that tick above.

2. Manual: Go to Model view, choose the tables you want to refresh with CTRL/Shift, right click and refresh. You can do the same in the report view, however, using CTRL/shift is disabled there.

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Right-click your queries in Query Editor and uncheck data refresh.

Latest book!:

Ok.

But I don't see how to select a group of tables I want to refresh to then refresh them all together (not having to select and refresh one, then the other, then the other...)

To the best of my knowledge, I'm not aware of a way to do what you are asking. I'm thinking that maybe you could get there using a query parameter that each query would check, but I don't think that you could just "exit" the query and not do data refresh. @ImkeF, any magic?

Latest book!:

No further idea from me here.

Incremental load is planned for the Premium-version (and unchecking data-load only works if you haven't referenced the "not-to-load-queries" anywhere in subsequent queries btw. It will also be ignored in the service: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/quot-Include-in-report-refresh-quot-disabling-doesn-t-work-i... )

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

ADC
Frequent Visitor

Thanks for your support@Greg_Deckler and @ImkeF

Then I'll manage with a selection of the tables I want to update with the option "Include in report refresh" in the Query Editor I think...

Regards

Sorry @ADC, sometimes there isn't an answer. You might think about adding this to Ideas if it isn't out there already. Would be pretty handy I think.

Latest book!:

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.