Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

How to update existing dashboard with new data?

I created a dashboard visualisation with a data set. I am wondering if I can keep this visualisation and just update the data every week so that I don't have to repeatedly create the visualisation everytime I receive a new data set?

Is this possible?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Exactly correct.  As long as the form of the data is the same (same columns, same tables, etc) and it's just the actual values that change, any measures, calculated columns, or data transformations apply the same way.

It's like if you went to your original data and changed a 10 to an 11, or deleted a random entry.  You'd still expect PowerBI to work on that updated file.  This is the same idea, but you're changing a lot more values at once.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Cmcmahan
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

This is very possible, and one of the main strengths of Power BI. 

If you click the "Edit Queries" button at the top in the Home ribbon, you'll see all of your data imports.  You can edit them to use the new data source, which will update your visuals.  Depending on your data source, you can even set it up to do it automatically.

What sort of file are you using as your data source right now?  

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks you for the quick response.

I am currently using Excel as my data source.

Can I set it up automatically?

Thanks!

Ashley

Hi @Anonymous ,

To keep data up to date. We can set schedule refresh of the dataset. In your scernaio, Gateway is required. You can refer to the online document as below to know how to do that.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/refresh-scheduled-refresh

Community Support Team _ Frank
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.

The easiest way would be to simply replace the file contents with the new data.  This can be done either by copy/pasting the data into the master file, or just renaming the file to whatever filename PowerBI is expecting each week.

There are ways to automate this, but they get much more complicated, and depend on how you get your excel file in the first place. You can start reading here on how to do that, and find a solution that works for you.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Cmcmahan,

If I created new measures/columns with my previous data set, will the same measaures apply to my new data if I use any of the following methods that you suggested? Assuming that the datasets have the same table names.

Thanks!

Ashley

Exactly correct.  As long as the form of the data is the same (same columns, same tables, etc) and it's just the actual values that change, any measures, calculated columns, or data transformations apply the same way.

It's like if you went to your original data and changed a 10 to an 11, or deleted a random entry.  You'd still expect PowerBI to work on that updated file.  This is the same idea, but you're changing a lot more values at once.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.