Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Niels_T
Post Patron
Post Patron

How to update data through different excel files

I would like to update my Facebook ads data through excel sheets, my plan was to use the Facebook advertising reporting tool and export a new excel sheet every month.

I then wanted to change the name of the excel sheet to the name of the first excel file that I imported into BI. 

So for example I uploaded: "Facebook - Age + Gender". Now I exported a new export file, I deleted the "Facebook - Age + Gender" file and replaced it with my new export file which I call now "Facebook - Age + Gender". I then press refresh, however, this gives me an error message.

Is there any way to update my existing data with new excel files?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-robertq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @Niels_T 

There are two ways to replace the original data source with a new one in the Power BI desktop:

1. Go to Transform data-> data source setting, change the source of data:

v-robertq-msft_0-1610700150681.png

1. Go to the power query editor, advanced editor, replace the file path to change the data source manually:

v-robertq-msft_1-1610700150696.png

Before updating your data source, you should first check if the column name and data type are the same as the columns in the original Excel file. If not, you will get an error.

Then you should update the reference of the next steps according to your actual situation.

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Robert Qin

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
PhilipTreacy
Super User
Super User

hi @Niels_T 

If you please supply your qury code it'll be clearer what you are trying to do.

If you are just changing the location of the file you can edit the query to point to the new file location.

If you've also changed the sheet name that data is loaded from then you need to change that in the query too.

Regards

Phil

Did I answer your question? Then please mark my post as the solution.
If I helped you, click on the Thumbs Up to give Kudos.

Blog :: YouTube Channel :: Connect on Linkedin

Proud to be a Super User!

v-robertq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @Niels_T 

There are two ways to replace the original data source with a new one in the Power BI desktop:

1. Go to Transform data-> data source setting, change the source of data:

v-robertq-msft_0-1610700150681.png

1. Go to the power query editor, advanced editor, replace the file path to change the data source manually:

v-robertq-msft_1-1610700150696.png

Before updating your data source, you should first check if the column name and data type are the same as the columns in the original Excel file. If not, you will get an error.

Then you should update the reference of the next steps according to your actual situation.

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Robert Qin

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.