Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

MoeData
Advocate II
Advocate II

How to union the effect of different filter slicers?

I have a report that has filter slicers and each slicer has entities. Each slicer has a data column "Series" and another desired quantity. This way I managed to make a scatter plot to compare different datasets on a single visual. 

What I want to achieve is to separate the filter slicers and remove the "Series" from the slicers, in a way that instead of 3 filter slicers for both Series1 and Series2, I have 6 filter slicers (3 for Series1 and 3 for Series2 as shown in the picture below). The results on the visual should of course stay unchanged.

scatterPlot.png
Link to the sample PBIX file:
https://tinyurl.com/yc5nrcap 

Any help is appreciated. 
@OwenAuger  Do you happen to have an idea for this problem? For now I put separate scatter plots with separate set of filter slicer on top of each other to mimic having several series on a single scatter plots 🙂 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
OwenAuger
Super User
Super User

Hi @MoeData 

I have had a look at this 🙂

One possible solution is as follows, with PBIX attached.

Set up your data model like this, with two copies of DimEmployees branching off from the original table, with inactive relationships.

OwenAuger_0-1648726920651.png

• DimEmployees1 & DimEmployees2 are used for the slicers.
    These tables are set up this way since they must not filter each other, and also not actively filter DimEmployees (hence inactive relationships).
  • Series is a calculation group with two calculation items, Series1 & Series2, which each activate one of the inactive relationships.
  • Measures EducationYear Value and Salary Value are similar to the versions from your other post, but I just used SELECTEDVALUE here.
  • On the matrix visual:
    • Values: DimEmployees[EducationYear] & DimSalary[Salary]
      (drill down to lowest level)
    • X Axis: [EducationYear Value]
    • Y Axis: [Salary Value]
    • Legend: Series[Series]

The DAX code is:

Series calculation group (created with Tabular Editor)

CALCULATIONGROUP Series[Series]

CALCULATIONITEM "Series 1" =
        CALCULATE (
            SELECTEDMEASURE (),
            USERELATIONSHIP ( DimEmployees[EmployeeID], DimEmployees1[EmployeeID] )
        )        

CALCULATIONITEM "Series 2" =
        CALCULATE (
            SELECTEDMEASURE (),
            USERELATIONSHIP ( DimEmployees[EmployeeID], DimEmployees2[EmployeeID] )
        )

Measures:

Salary Value = 
SELECTEDVALUE ( DimSalary[Salary] )

EducationYear Value = 
IF (
    NOT ISEMPTY ( DimSalary ),
    SELECTEDVALUE ( DimEmployees[EducationYear] )
)

Final appearance:

OwenAuger_1-1648726920123.png

Kind regards,

Owen

Owen Auger
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Blog
Twitter
LinkedIn

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
MoeData
Advocate II
Advocate II

Hi @OwenAuger;
It works amazing, thanks!
Is it possible to differentiate the different series using different size of markers, while being able to add the trendlines and min/max lines on the plot?
I can only change the color and the marker shape of each series individually, but not the size!

Hi again @MoeData 

Just on your last question - with the built-in Scatter Chart, it seems impossible to have trendlines when a field is provided for Size 😞

There could be a custom scatter chart visual out there that might allow it. I tested a couple but no luck so far.

I imagine it might be possible with Deneb as well, but that's a bit beyond me at the moment.

Regards,

Owen

Owen Auger
Blog
Twitter
LinkedIn

Hi @OwenAuger 

Thanks a lot! Didn't know about Deneb. 

OwenAuger
Super User
Super User

Hi @MoeData 

I have had a look at this 🙂

One possible solution is as follows, with PBIX attached.

Set up your data model like this, with two copies of DimEmployees branching off from the original table, with inactive relationships.

OwenAuger_0-1648726920651.png

• DimEmployees1 & DimEmployees2 are used for the slicers.
    These tables are set up this way since they must not filter each other, and also not actively filter DimEmployees (hence inactive relationships).
  • Series is a calculation group with two calculation items, Series1 & Series2, which each activate one of the inactive relationships.
  • Measures EducationYear Value and Salary Value are similar to the versions from your other post, but I just used SELECTEDVALUE here.
  • On the matrix visual:
    • Values: DimEmployees[EducationYear] & DimSalary[Salary]
      (drill down to lowest level)
    • X Axis: [EducationYear Value]
    • Y Axis: [Salary Value]
    • Legend: Series[Series]

The DAX code is:

Series calculation group (created with Tabular Editor)

CALCULATIONGROUP Series[Series]

CALCULATIONITEM "Series 1" =
        CALCULATE (
            SELECTEDMEASURE (),
            USERELATIONSHIP ( DimEmployees[EmployeeID], DimEmployees1[EmployeeID] )
        )        

CALCULATIONITEM "Series 2" =
        CALCULATE (
            SELECTEDMEASURE (),
            USERELATIONSHIP ( DimEmployees[EmployeeID], DimEmployees2[EmployeeID] )
        )

Measures:

Salary Value = 
SELECTEDVALUE ( DimSalary[Salary] )

EducationYear Value = 
IF (
    NOT ISEMPTY ( DimSalary ),
    SELECTEDVALUE ( DimEmployees[EducationYear] )
)

Final appearance:

OwenAuger_1-1648726920123.png

Kind regards,

Owen

Owen Auger
Blog
Twitter
LinkedIn
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Filters are not unioned/appended. They are overlayed/joined/superpositioned  (the default is for filters to replace each other)

You call the table "DimTotal" but according to your data model that is a fact table.  Consider splitting it into two fact tables, one per series.  That would then allow you to have separate slicers.

You could also use two separate visuals, and then use the "Filters on this visual" options instead of the slicers.

@lbendlin 
I unoined the existing tables in order to be able to use "Series" column as a legend in the scatter plot, because I want to have the data in a single visual, as I need to compare data. If I split the tables, how can I show both tables on a singe scatter plot (with different colors)?

You can either have all series on the same visual or have separate filters per series. You can't get both.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.