Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Ormesome
Helper II
Helper II

How to turn off "sort by another column"?

PowerBI Desktop, Version: 2.56.5023.942 64-bit (March 2018)

I have downloaded a pbix file and opened it in PowerBI Desktop. The data source is a PowerBI Service and the lack of Data or Relationship tabs indicates it's a SSAS solution.

When I put some of the data (accounts) into a matrix and sort by the account name it actually sorts by the account number. This leaves the account names in a seemingly random order. I want to confirm that the model is set to sort by another column. Ideally I'd be able to turn this off.

Is there a tool I can use to view the queries? Apparently I can't use DAX Studio because it only works with imported models.

Is there a means of turning off "sort by another column" when I don't have access to the model?

7 REPLIES 7
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

What you could do, is to sort the matrix yourself by clicking on the column name at the top?

Another option is to find out who created the SSAS model and ask them what they used for the Sort by column?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Clicking on the menu at the top to sort asc or desc sorts it by the associated field rather than the displayed field.

As you both have suggested, I'm going to have to go back to the original developer.

Shahfaisal
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

I don't think you can do this. The documentation says "You can create report level measures in the Power BI Desktop, but all other query and modeling features are disabled when exploring live data". Can you reach out to the author of the model? 

Anonymous
Not applicable

You can go to Power Query Editor->Advance Editor to check the M using to load the data and then modify the Order.

2018-04-09_9-07-26.png

How do I get there without access to the Data or Relationships tabs?

You will have to log into the SSAS cube to see this all.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Except that it's not my cube. It's a PowerBI Service.

Surely there's a way to say, "that's a great recommendation, but I don't want to sort by that field. Thanks all the same."

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.