Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

BILearner
Advocate I
Advocate I

How to treat Duplicate rows as Unique Rows

Hi,

I am relatively new to BI space, I looked through the posts but I coudn't find what I was looking for. I need a way to treat duplicate rows as unique values so that the visual is not grouped by or showing me the only unique values without including a EmpID column in the visual.

1. Here is my tableThe Emp tableThe Emp table

2. The requirement is, I want to display all the columns except for EmpID and all the rows. However there are duplicate values in EmpFName & EmpLname and PowerBI shows only unique values. Notice that John A is a repeat value and I would like to see it repeated. But in the following visuals in 1st John A is aggregated acorss salary appears as one value, in the 2nd without aggregation(If I remove aggregation on the Salary), and the 3rd visual is the what I want. 
 Aggregation Applied on SalaryAggregation Applied on SalaryAggregation Not appliedAggregation Not appliedbehavior I needbehavior I need

Any idea on how this could be acheived?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Vvelarde
Community Champion
Community Champion

@BILearner

Hi, an easy wayis insert the ID Field and reduce his width to hide it.

Regards

Victor

Lima- Peru

Lima - Peru

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Vvelarde
Community Champion
Community Champion

@BILearner

Hi, an easy wayis insert the ID Field and reduce his width to hide it.

Regards

Victor

Lima- Peru

Lima - Peru

@Vvelarde Thanks for this solution/workaround, is there any other way to do it without including the ID column at all? because in the original data there are more number of Columns with bigger column headings and I am using column header word wrap to adjust the width of the columns to present data in the available space. So the problem with this solution is the width of header row increases significantly covering more area of the visual if I hide(Reduce the width of column to hide it) the ID column.

And if I do not use the word wrap for column headings then column heading would not be readable.

Thanks,

Hi @BILearner,

I am afraid adding another column is necessary. There is a message that "Duplicate rows were removed from the data" even I tried to use a R visual. That makes sense. Firstly, it's a report, which isn't just a list of records. Secondly, if there are hundreds of such rows, how we can handle them.

How to treat Duplicate rows as Unique Rows.jpg

Best Regards!

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-jiascu-msft

Thanks for the information. Can following R plot be acheived with PBI? This is becasue PBI visual would allow further interactivity. Also I do not want to concatenate ID column with the FName column to acheive this as the string/label would be very lenghty in the original data.  R solution.PNG 

Thanks!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.