Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Federiko23

How to transform this excel?

Hi! I'm starting with PowerBI and have a question about an excel I want to transform and visualize. The information comes in this way:

Requirement |  Status from  |  Status

a  |   1/1/2017  | Open

a  |  1/3/2017  | In Process

a  | 1/9/2017 | Closed

b  | 3/2/2017 | Open

c  | 2/1/2017 | Open

b  | 4/1/2017  | In Process

What I'd like to end up are a table where I can indicate the number of days each requirement was in specific status, so in excel what I can do is sort by requirement and then by status from, and then create a new column that checks the requirement from the below's row, and if it is the same it just takes below's "status from" and deducts the one from the current row, if the below's requiremen is not the same as the current row then it uses the current date to deduct 

Result should be something like:

requirement |  Status  | amount of days

a  |  open  |  2

a  | In Process | 6

I can get to that manipulating the excel before importing it in powerbi, but is there any way to do it directly in powerbi so I skip that step every time I refresh the info?

Thank you!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Ashish_Mathur
Super User
Super User

Hi,

Write a calculated column formula in the PowerPivot

=IF(ISBLANK(CALCULATE(MIN(Data[Status From]),FILTER(data,Data[Requirement]=EARLIER(Data[Requirement])&&Data[Status From]>EARLIER(Data[Status From])))),TODAY(),CALCULATE(MIN(Data[Status From]),FILTER(data,Data[Requirement]=EARLIER(Data[Requirement])&&Data[Status From]>EARLIER(Data[Status From]))))-Data[Status From]

Untitled.png

Regards,
Ashish Mathur
http://www.ashishmathur.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/excelenthusiasts/

View solution in original post

Power Query solution:

let
    Source = Table1,
    #"Sorted Rows" = Table.Sort(Source,{{"Requirement", Order.Ascending}, {"Status from", Order.Ascending}}),
    #"Added Index" = Table.AddIndexColumn(#"Sorted Rows", "Index", 0, 1),
    #"Added Index1" = Table.AddIndexColumn(#"Added Index", "Index.1", 1, 1),
    #"Merged Queries" = Table.NestedJoin(#"Added Index1",{"Index.1"},#"Added Index",{"Index"},"Next",JoinKind.LeftOuter),
    #"Expanded Next" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Merged Queries", "Next", {"Requirement", "Status from"}, {"Next.Requirement", "Next.Status from"}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Expanded Next", "amount of days", each Duration.TotalDays((if [Next.Requirement] <> [Requirement] then DateTime.Date(DateTime.FixedLocalNow()) else [Next.Status from]) - [Status from]), Int64.Type),
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Added Custom",{"Index", "Index.1", "Next.Requirement", "Next.Status from"})
in
    #"Removed Columns"

Specializing in Power Query Formula Language (M)

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Ashish_Mathur
Super User
Super User

Hi,

Write a calculated column formula in the PowerPivot

=IF(ISBLANK(CALCULATE(MIN(Data[Status From]),FILTER(data,Data[Requirement]=EARLIER(Data[Requirement])&&Data[Status From]>EARLIER(Data[Status From])))),TODAY(),CALCULATE(MIN(Data[Status From]),FILTER(data,Data[Requirement]=EARLIER(Data[Requirement])&&Data[Status From]>EARLIER(Data[Status From]))))-Data[Status From]

Untitled.png

Regards,
Ashish Mathur
http://www.ashishmathur.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/excelenthusiasts/

Power Query solution:

let
    Source = Table1,
    #"Sorted Rows" = Table.Sort(Source,{{"Requirement", Order.Ascending}, {"Status from", Order.Ascending}}),
    #"Added Index" = Table.AddIndexColumn(#"Sorted Rows", "Index", 0, 1),
    #"Added Index1" = Table.AddIndexColumn(#"Added Index", "Index.1", 1, 1),
    #"Merged Queries" = Table.NestedJoin(#"Added Index1",{"Index.1"},#"Added Index",{"Index"},"Next",JoinKind.LeftOuter),
    #"Expanded Next" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Merged Queries", "Next", {"Requirement", "Status from"}, {"Next.Requirement", "Next.Status from"}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Expanded Next", "amount of days", each Duration.TotalDays((if [Next.Requirement] <> [Requirement] then DateTime.Date(DateTime.FixedLocalNow()) else [Next.Status from]) - [Status from]), Int64.Type),
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Added Custom",{"Index", "Index.1", "Next.Requirement", "Next.Status from"})
in
    #"Removed Columns"

Specializing in Power Query Formula Language (M)

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.