Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

wpf_
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

How to sync two slicers?

I have a supervisor table and a manager table.  Each of them have a tour field (AM, PM ). They do not have a direct relationshp.  They have a relationship with the employee table, but this table does not have the tour field.  So currently i think i would have to use two slicers, one from the supervisor table and one from the manager table to slice by tour.  Is there a way for me to show just one slicer, but sync up with the other, so that it will slice both tables at once?  Thanks 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@wpf_ 

In action, it does not matter, but in reuse of measure, it does.
If you want to use measure in subsequent visualizations, you need to add visual filter everywhere. If you had this filter in measure, you wouldn't have to. That is the difference.

PBI_SuperUser_Rank@1x.png Proud to be a Super User.
If I helped, please accept the solution and give kudos
Linkedin

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-jingzhang
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @wpf_ 

I have another idea that you can add a Date table into the model, create relationships between Date column in Date table and Tour column in supervisor and manager tables. Then use a column from Date table for the slicer to filter other visuals. (I assume that the tour fields are in date or datetime type so let me know if I understand it incorrectly.)

@v-jingzhang the tour field is a option set text field.  I am using direct query i'm not sure if it allows me to create a date table.  But i have a work around solution right now where i use a measure in the manager table to detect via selectedvalue of the supervisor slicer.  Then if they are the same i set to "1", if not i set to "0".  Then i use a visual filter to filter for only the "1"'.  Do you think this is a viable solution or will this increase of use of measures and visual filters slow down the performance?  Thanks 

lkalawski
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Hi @wpf_ 

You cannot directly synchronize slicers that do not have any connection to each other. To do that, you'd have to combine the two tables using this field - but I know that's not what you mean.

Another solution is to create a separate table with slicer values, and then add a condition to the measures that will check which slicer has been selected.
Share data or a .pbix file and I'll explain it to you with your example.

Linkedin

@lkalawski Thanks.  You gave me an idea to use a measure, then I used visual filter to filter for what I wanted.  Is it bad to use visual filters?  I'm using 2-3 per table.  Is it better to filter within a measure, or is it better to use visual filter?  Thanks 

@wpf_ 

In action, it does not matter, but in reuse of measure, it does.
If you want to use measure in subsequent visualizations, you need to add visual filter everywhere. If you had this filter in measure, you wouldn't have to. That is the difference.

Linkedin

@lkalawski Thanks for your help.  

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.