Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jarthda
Regular Visitor

How to switch data source in Desktop

I have my report .pbix definition currently connected to Azure SQL. I a have the same tables in a SQL instance. What is the best way to replace the connection but keep the report and tables? Is this possible?

Spoiler

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
mahimabedi
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

If you only want to change the connection string or point to a new SQL instance, then you can do it under data source settings as well.

mahimabedi_0-1603591221989.png

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
mahimabedi
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

If you only want to change the connection string or point to a new SQL instance, then you can do it under data source settings as well.

mahimabedi_0-1603591221989.png

I'm not sure on the specifics of the connection steps in this case, but in general, you can change any data source as follows

1. Do not delete the current loaded table

2. Load the new table from the new source from scratch. Make sure the final table is identical to the original

3. In the new table query (2 above), go into Advanced Editor and copy all the code

4. Go into advanced editor for the original table (1 above) and paste the code from 2 in place of original code. 

take a backup copy first. 

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.