Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

SteffanH
Frequent Visitor

How to summarise and transpose (?) data

I have the following (simplified) data

ColumnCurrent ValuePrevious value
CL1TransitioningLeading
CL2LeadingWinding Down
CL3ConsideringPromising
CL5TransitioningPromising
CL4PromisingLaunching

I am looking for the best way to create a 'summary' of this data in the following form

Current valuePrevious Value
Launching01
Considering10
Leading11
Promising12
Transitioning20
Winding Down01

(the numbers are a count of the occurence of each value in 'previous' or 'current')

In order to be able to (ideally) provide the following visualisation (excel mockup)
Simplified summary sample.png 

I have the feeling that a Calculated table might be the correct approach, but I have so far been able to find an example that comes close to what I am trying to achieve.

Any pointers in the right direction would be highly appreciated !

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi @SteffanH ,

Believe there is no need to create a new sumarization table. Try the following steps:

• Add a new table with the status (without any relationship to the other table)
  • Create the following two measure:
Current = CALCULATE(COUNT('Values'[Column]);FILTER('Values';'Values'[Current Value]= SELECTEDVALUE('Status'[Status]))) + 0

Previous = CALCULATE(COUNT('Values'[Column]);FILTER('Values';'Values'[Previous value]= SELECTEDVALUE('Status'[Status]))) + 0

• Then  use this on your two visualizations

Other option to go is:

• Unpivot the Current Value and Previous value columns
  • Create a status table with relationship active to the first table
  • Create this two measures:
CurrentUnpivot = CALCULATE(COUNT('Values (Unpivot)'[Column]);'Values (Unpivot)'[Type] = "Current value") + 0

PreviousUnpivot = CALCULATE(COUNT('Values (Unpivot)'[Column]);'Values (Unpivot)'[Type] = "Previous value") + 0
  • Create your visualizations normally.

Check PBIX file attach.

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi @SteffanH ,

Believe there is no need to create a new sumarization table. Try the following steps:

• Add a new table with the status (without any relationship to the other table)
  • Create the following two measure:
Current = CALCULATE(COUNT('Values'[Column]);FILTER('Values';'Values'[Current Value]= SELECTEDVALUE('Status'[Status]))) + 0

Previous = CALCULATE(COUNT('Values'[Column]);FILTER('Values';'Values'[Previous value]= SELECTEDVALUE('Status'[Status]))) + 0

• Then  use this on your two visualizations

Other option to go is:

• Unpivot the Current Value and Previous value columns
  • Create a status table with relationship active to the first table
  • Create this two measures:
CurrentUnpivot = CALCULATE(COUNT('Values (Unpivot)'[Column]);'Values (Unpivot)'[Type] = "Current value") + 0

PreviousUnpivot = CALCULATE(COUNT('Values (Unpivot)'[Column]);'Values (Unpivot)'[Type] = "Previous value") + 0
  • Create your visualizations normally.

Check PBIX file attach.

Regards

Miguel Félix

Hi Miguel,

Thank you for your response !

I am unable to open the attached pbix file with PBI v2.76 (December 2019) and get a syntax error on your suggested measure after 

CALCULATE(COUNT('Values'[Column]);

For anyone else trying to reproduce: I managed to resolve this by changing the ";" after COUNT to a "," and the same applies for the ";" after FILTER

This is exactly what I needed 👍

But I have a follow-up question:
When I click on any of the summarised values, a table I added to the same report page does not get filtered, by the selected Status is that because no link exists between the newly created "Status" helper table ? 

Hi @SteffanH 

Regarding the question about the dot comma and comma is regional settings related, depending on the settings of your computer the function parameters are determined by dot comma or comma. 😀

If you went to the first option that is a non-related table that is correct, since you don't have a relationship you will not get filtering information.

Regards

Miguel Félix

Was afraid of the regional settings thing being the cause.

Filtering should only be needed/applied on the "current" value, I assume the existing measures will not break if I create the relation between Current value and the new Status table.

Hi @SteffanH ,

You can do two relationship one active on current value and one inactive on previous then change your measures to:

Current = COUNT('Values'[Column])

Previous = CALCULATE(COUNT('Values'[Column]);USERELATIONSHIP('Values'[Previous value]; Status{[Status])) + 0

Should work as expected and then the filtering will be applied.

Regards

Miguel Félix

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.