Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

TheKiltedGolfer
Helper III
Helper III

How to split column based on first character until first space?

I have a 'Short Description' column that will either start with a '#" character or not AND it may have mulitple '#' in the description.  I need to create a new column for every '#' and keep all of the following characters after the '#' until there is a space.  Therefore, based on the text in the column, the text may NOT need to be split into columns.  The two new columns would be titled "Hashtag 1" and "Hashtag 1 Description."  That means if there is not a '#' as the first character that "Hashtag 1 Description" will be empty.  I would then use the same DAX on the newly created column "Hashtag 1 Description," because there may be multiple "#" in the origianl description, to create two new columns.  Then I plan on doing this one more time to split the column because right now the max is three '#' in the description.  Does anyone have any idea how I can do this?

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@TheKiltedGolfer it seems to be doable, if you can share sample data, it will help to get the solution. 

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Thank you for your assistance.  Below is a sample of my "Short Description" column.  Not sure if it can all be written in one DAX formual or not.

STS Sample Snipit.JPG

@TheKiltedGolfer just checking if maximum # can be 3 ?

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

I believe that is correct, up to the date of my reply.  I hope it does not increase to 4 or more but the max number of times a single column should need to be split into individual columns is 3. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.