Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

AJ_Clark
Resolver I
Resolver I

How to split a value across multiple months *unevenly*.

Hi all, I've been stuck with this problem for a little while and I'm hoping one of the many experts on here will be able to assist me. 

We are forecasting sales and gross profitabiliy based on a number of scenarios and for the purposes of this exercise, have a table like the followign as a part of an output: 

You can assume the the 'Date' below is the Sales Date, but it comes from a larget master date table that has all of the usual inclusions such as month number etc. 

1.png

Now, we have mocked up another very simple table with the month id and % to claim against. But this can easily be changed to whatever is simplest (numbe of days etc.)

2.png

The 1 - 6 in the above table is the month numbers to 'add' to the sales date to initiate that part of the claim, we're happy to change this to days or any other value that will simplify this work. 

So if we look at the above example (July and August 2019) the desired output would be something lie this: 

DateJuly-19August-19...
% of income claimed$2,946,115.95 (15% of $19,640,773)$4,910,193.25
(25% of $19,640,773)
  $3,591,961.20
(15% of $23,946,408)
  $8,502,154 

I hope that makes sense! Open to all suggestions. Thank you for your help

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-xicai
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @AJ_Clark ,

You may create month column in your fact data table first of all, then create relationship between the fact data table and your Division table on Month field.

Month= MONTH(Data[Sale Date])

Then create measure like DAX below. You may choose Table visual or Matrix visual to display the result.

Contract Amount to be claimed= Data[Contract Gross Profit]*RELATED(Division[Claim Amount])

Best Regards,

Amy

Community Support Team _ Amy

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-xicai
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @AJ_Clark ,

You may create month column in your fact data table first of all, then create relationship between the fact data table and your Division table on Month field.

Month= MONTH(Data[Sale Date])

Then create measure like DAX below. You may choose Table visual or Matrix visual to display the result.

Contract Amount to be claimed= Data[Contract Gross Profit]*RELATED(Division[Claim Amount])

Best Regards,

Amy

Community Support Team _ Amy

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Can you post your source data as text so that this can be recreated easily?

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Here's a link to a Google Drive Sheet with some data (dummy input and the split with expected output) what is missing is the date table but I figure those are mostly generated via a script. 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_0KE2h2p4lYDHr8cC85mYQD40jpca9KwOXr4_6t0qpA/edit?usp=sharing...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.