Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Syndicate_Admin
Administrator
Administrator

How to split a macro report into subreports without redundant dataset?

Good morning

I have a report with more than 20 pages, which uses a SQL Server with mixed storage mode (Imported and DirectQuery) and I would like to get 3 subreports each with a range of pages of the macro report and accessing the same database and tables (there are more than 20).

Upload the 3 sub-reports generates 3 datasets in the Service

As there are imported tables I assume that there will be redundant data, but I would prefer to have a single set of data instead of 3, since in addition the 3 would have to be automatically updated daily.

I thought that after uploading the first subreport (I already have a dataset), you could change the data source of each of the tables to use the dataset of the first subreport (dynamic connection) but this would involve doing it in 20x2 = about 40 tables. I don't see how to replace the general SQL Server source with the dataset for all tables at once.

I only need the 3 sub-reports and the unique dataset in Service, in Desktop with the macro report would suffice.

Some idea or suggestion to get it.

Thanks a lot!!!!

3 REPLIES 3
AlexisOlson
Super User
Super User

Can you clarify what you mean by "subreport"? This usually makes me think of Paginated Reports (.rdl) rather than Power BI Destkop (.pbix) but paginated reports don't have the same Import/DirectQuery distinction.

The main report has 22 pages, you want 3 reports that include subsets of these same pages with all their visualizations. Nothing to do with paginated reports.

Greetings and thanks

You can connect the subreports to the existing "macro report" dataset rather than creating new datasets for each one.

See the documentation here:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/desktop-report-lifecycle-datasets

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.