Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Dali748
Helper II
Helper II

How to sort row headers in a manual sort in matrix?

category-sort.PNG

Hi, I want to be able to manually sort these Matrix rows in a specific sort that I need it in; for example, I would like "REVENUE" to always be first, so for example:

REVENUE

LABOR

TEMP LABOR

SUBCONTRACTORS

ETC....

How can I go about getting this data to show in this sort orde

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Dali748 

Sorry, i have not found any simple way of just adding a column.

sorting in matrix may be on ascending or descending, but columns created in edit queries can't change with that selection.

I find a more simple way is add two column in edit queries, the step is simple, just use UI,

Capture3.JPGCapture4.JPG

Capture5.JPGCapture6.JPG

Best Regards
Maggie
Community Support Team _ Maggie Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
VasTg
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

@Dali748 

You have to create a number column and key in the sort order they way you want like below.

REVENUE 1
LABOR 2
TEMP LABOR 3
SUBCONTRACTORS 4

The select the Category column and choose SORT BY and select your sort column.

Refer document.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-sort-by-column

If it helps, mark it as a solution

Kudos are nice too

Connect on LinkedIn

Thank you for the replies!

@VasTg Where do I create this number column?  Do I have to to it in the data source?

For example, I have thousands of rows for "REVENUE", "TEMP LABOR", etc. that roll up to this matrix; do I just have to add a new column in the data source with this number sort break down?  Or can I do this in the "PowerBI>Desktop>Edit Query" screen?

Thank you!

Hi @Dali748 

Yes, you can add a column in Edit queries.

First sort [Category] column on Ascending, then add an index column from 1,

then add a conditional column(called "ASC") : if [CATEGORY]="REVENUE" then 0 else [Index],

then add another custom column(called "DEC"): if [CATEGORY]="REVENUE" then List.Max(#"Added Conditional Column"[Index])+1 else [Index]

Capture11.JPG

let
    Source = Excel.Workbook(File.Contents("C:24\2.24.xlsx"), null, true),
    Sheet4_Sheet = Source{[Item="Sheet4",Kind="Sheet"]}[Data],
    #"Promoted Headers" = Table.PromoteHeaders(Sheet4_Sheet, [PromoteAllScalars=true]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Promoted Headers",{{"CATEGORY", type text}, {"DATE", type date}, {"VALUE", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Sorted Rows" = Table.Sort(#"Changed Type",{{"CATEGORY", Order.Ascending}}),
    #"Added Index" = Table.AddIndexColumn(#"Sorted Rows", "Index", 1, 1),
    #"Added Conditional Column" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added Index", "ASC", each if [CATEGORY] = "REVENUE" then 0 else [Index]),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added Conditional Column", "DEC", each if [CATEGORY] = "REVENUE" then List.Max(#"Added Conditional Column"[Index])+1 else [Index]),
    #"Sorted Rows1" = Table.Sort(#"Added Custom",{{"ASC", Order.Ascending}})
in
    #"Sorted Rows1"

If you select sort by ascending of [CATEGORY] column, you could select the [CATEGORY] column, then select Sort by Column->select the column [ASC],

Capture9.JPG

If you select sort by descending of [CATEGORY] column, you could select the [CATEGORY] column, then select Sort by Column->select the column [DEC],

Capture10.JPG

Best Regards
Maggie
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-juanli-msft Thank you for the reply!

So I would have to add 3 additional columns (Index, ASC, DES) within Edit queries?

Would this be easier if I just added 1 "Category_Sort" column in my raw Excel data using a formula to show the sort order I want the categories in?

Thank you!

Hi @Dali748 

Sorry, i have not found any simple way of just adding a column.

sorting in matrix may be on ascending or descending, but columns created in edit queries can't change with that selection.

I find a more simple way is add two column in edit queries, the step is simple, just use UI,

Capture3.JPGCapture4.JPG

Capture5.JPGCapture6.JPG

Best Regards
Maggie

I prefer to do this in powerbi with measure or calculated column method as powerquery causes performance slowdown. Also, column headings cannot be sorted with what is explained here!

Example column names:
"A B C D"
Names of desired columns:
"D B A C"

I think you didn't understand the main point.

@v-juanli-msft Ok, thank you! 

And this method will also work with multiple rows of the same category; right? For example:

USAGE

REVENUE

REVENUE

LABOR

REVENUE

USAGE

USAGE

LABOR

ETC...

Hi @Dali748 

As tested, it works in this case.

Matrix would group data based on the "row" field, so we may find the "REVENUE" or "USAGE" only once under "row" list.

Best Regards

Maggie

@v-juanli-msft Ok, yes that would work; as long as it groups it by row in the matrix even if there are multiple rows in the raw data for the same category.  Ty.

MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi @Dali748,

You need to add an auxiliary column with the sort order you need
Revenue - 1
Labor - 2

Then select the column with the descriptions and sort by the column with the number.

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.