Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

How to sort my data by by months starting with January

I read through several postings but they weren't helpful. I attached a photo of my bar chart and my question is how to arrange my X axis by month starting with January - December? I just can't figure that out.  Thanks PBI.PNG

3 REPLIES 3
EugenioJunior
Frequent Visitor

Hi @Anonymous 

You need to create an index column for each of the months.

Then you can click on your month column and go to the modeling tab and select the index column to sort the months.

Anonymous
Not applicable

i do not know what you mean by creating an index column for each month? I already have the 1 months listed in the Months field data

Within your data, do you have a date field? If so create a new column from this field that extracts just the month e.g.

MnthNmbr = Month(your data field)

As per the post above, you can then use this field to sort by. To do this, select your date field and then choose modeling > Sort by Column > Select MnthNmbr or whatever you call it.

I believe the best practice is to have a query containing all dates (Calendar) and include columns on your calendar that you may wish to sort/summarise by.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.